Author Topic: Madstad K2 mounting plate issues  (Read 691 times)

Offline skatrekker

Madstad K2 mounting plate issues
« on: November 01, 2014, 20:10:59 »
I have had my Dl1000K2 for a Year now and done the usual , Clutch by sharealike and added charging point for   Sat Nav, changed the mrrors etc, However my Madstad Screen and plate  I have never been that happy with. The Screen does its job just fine but I have no further downward adjustment and and the fit in   the upper fairing leaves a gap where the previous screen just fitted flush at the topmost fitting points. On my last 400 mile round trip I noticed that the mounting plate was vibrating and buzzing  at low speed. On further  examination the fairing nose has sheared across at it's thinnest part between the headlights causing the top of the screen to move. I have now put the standard screen back on to avoid stressing the plastic as much. Simply gluing it will not hold for long or enable me to put madstad back on.  I would like to fit a metal brace to the Screen mounting metal plate that holds it rigid possibly disguised as some sort of headlamp/bodywork protector a bit like the Hepco and Becker h/lamp Guard
I am open to Ideas so anyone else had this and permanently solved it ?

:old:

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
Re: Madstad K2 mounting plate issues
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2014, 20:25:02 »
I thought the K2 had a fixed screen and couldn't have a Madstad fitted??  :shrug:
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline greywolf

Re: Madstad K2 mounting plate issues
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2014, 21:50:21 »
http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/sc.7/category.5625/.f

There have been reports of the fairing having such breaks even with the stock screen. The K2 and K3 models mount the screen in plastic while the K4 and later Vees and all Wees mount the screen to the metal fairing frame. A big screen puts a lot of stress on the plastic. I'm keeping a close eye on the Glee fairing as it also mounts the screen in plastic. A gap between the screen and fairing is important to let air in at the bottom of the screen to create a laminar air flow up the back of the screen. Otherwise, turbulence is created behind the screen.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s