Author Topic: Lowering my Vstrom - But by how much?  (Read 9318 times)

Offline Mr B

Re: Lowering my Vstrom - But by how much?
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2014, 14:55:53 »
Yes, forks dropped by about 10mm - I'm ABS'd and have Cosmo's forkbrace so can't go much lower at the front.
It does affect the stands: The bike doesn't lean quite as much on the side stand - not a problem on flat ground, I don't really park on hills/cambers. It does make it slightly more difficult to get it on the centre stand but it isn't a problem for me (12st)

Offline Dave the Dude

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2014, 15:10:28 »
Thank you very much for the advice.
I am living in Thailand where there is a crazy import tax on most non-Thai made bikes (approx. 200%). The V Strom however is sold at a great price and as I have a while before coming into some cash to purchase a new bike, I have been considering other options (CB650/Z1000/R800GS).

The V Strom was my first choice for the rough local roads here but my only concern was the seat height. Most other bikes are double the money and not double the quality or practicality, so you have helped me make me mind up.

Cheers Mate!
 :auto-dirtbike:
Dave

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2014, 10:07:54 »
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline Mr B

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2014, 11:40:00 »
Quote from: "Juvecu"
*cough cough* :grin:
Uh? No one's quoted anyone 'til now. Or have I just fallen for a trap?  :shrug:

Offline Dave the Dude

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2014, 12:24:09 »
No idea?  :shrug:

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2014, 15:00:19 »
If you read the edit comments in the footer of the post you'll see that's because I've been editing the unneeded quotes out :)

Just pointing it out so it doesn't become a habit :grin:
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline Mr B

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2014, 15:32:11 »
28 times turns it into a habit ;-)

Offline PHIL FAT

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2014, 17:31:58 »
if you fit these dog bones do you have to lower the front end have looked at the ones on e bay they do not look as good as cosmos has any one on here got the ones from e bay buy it now£18 are they any good thanks
Too Old To Die Young

Offline Goodlad

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2014, 19:07:00 »
Quote from: "PHIL FAT"
if you fit these dog bones do you have to lower the front end have looked at the ones on e bay they do not look as good as cosmos has any one on here got the ones from e bay buy it now£18 are they any good thanks

I ordered the 20mm lowering dog bones from cosmo on friday.
They should be fit for me next weekend. I will be dropping the front by 20mm also so the front is not higher than the back.

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2014, 19:16:35 »
One thing to watch for (as has been mentioned) when lowering so much is the reduction in sidestand lean, so the bike is more upright. In many situations this is no problem, really, but I found on my 650 with full luggage and the right hand pannier more heavy, that the bike can be almost vertical! I looked back at my parked strom in a petrol station and nearly died of shock - a stray breeze would have had it over! :limp:

Some fit a shorter sidestand, or grind stops down so it leans further... :shrug:
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline trailguru

« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2014, 16:19:36 »
The previous owner of my DL650 K7 had already used dogbones to lower the bike by 20mm but hadn't lowered the front end so I lowered it a conservative 12mm. My inside leg's 29" and the stand-over height is fine.

BUT when loaded up for a tour (panniers full, 4Kg tent on the back seat and topbox part full) you have to be very careful to park where the ground slopes away on the nearside.  Even on the flat the bike is damn near upright and is easy to tip over (as I found out to my cost when pulling up on a luggage strap!).

Unloaded the centre stand is a bit difficult to use, loaded it's a no go. I weigh in at 9.5 stone.

Offline V-Twin

• Bike: Fantic Caballero Deluxe 500
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2014, 18:54:32 »
Quote " Unloaded the center stand is a bit difficult to use, loaded it's a no go. I weigh in at 9.5 stone."

Need to put a little weight on....

I have found that loaded getting on the center stand is still no probs.
Same setting as you. 20mm lowered & fronts dropped by 12mm.
With my right foot on center stand, right hand on grab rail I push & pull & up it goes. Simples.

Can I ask where you are off too.??

VT

Ps.  If anyone is going to Lower their V Strom the e, bay bones are OK.
I think I paid about £15 for mine. Same thickness as originals.  I can't see any reason for paying anymore than that...So nif you want them black just paint them. Job done.