Author Topic: One Year In  (Read 795 times)

Offline Frankenstrom

One Year In
« on: September 21, 2014, 13:07:43 »
Well, as my insurance renewal kicked in at 00.00.21 (or whatever) this morning I guess that that has been me pretty much exactly 1 year in on my v-strom.

Its been a journey of discovery from me. I only passed my bike test on 5th September and my experiences prior to that hadn't been exactly plain sailing (hence a 26 year hiatus) so a first bike was a big, major step for me.

I only demoed two bikes: a Tiger 800 and the DL650. Being brutally honest I preferred the Tiger from the off but the finances just wouldn't stretch to it. However on my DL test ride (the first time out on the road, legally, on my own on a 'proper' motorcycle) I found myself giggling with enjoyment so, I thought, if that happened it wasn't going to be a disappointment.

From my tentative initial 'first' ride on brand new tyres to two days later my first proper ride out (about 175 miles in uncharacteristically glorious local holiday weekend weather) followed by a solo trip to Perth (200 miles) had me my 600 mile service mileage in 10 days. Think I managed about 1300 before 'shutting down' for winter.

It took me another 2.5-3.0k to learn how to actually ride the thing properly. And along the way I've had some 400 miler days (first one, lunch in Plockton was physically hard) including a trip to Applecross in stunning weather (despite leaving home in the mist, it had 28-30 degrees indicated on the clocks pretty from Inverness onwards).

I've done a couple of trips tagging along with the local IAM people and they have 'pointed' me in the right direction. I was pretty ginger into corners (probably due to having come a cropper on one at illegal speed in my youth, hence the hiatus) so some crucial advise about keeping the gas on in the corners was duly absorbed (and properly put into practice along the Kyle/Kintail road...).

Then, another day, positive steering was queried and after some experimentation understood. This has led to me being a much smoother rider.

So, I thought I'd give my impressions of the bike...

First up, its a perfect first bike (well, for a gentleman past his bloom of youth at any rate). Its a nice upright riding position, seat is comfy enough to be able to ride long days and whilst not scary fast its fast enough to be scary (at times, anyway). Its also a bike that doesn't spring any (nasty) surprises on you. It's easy to get to know and handles consistently (and is easy to ride).

It being a vee twin means good engine braking so keeps actually braking to a minimum. Also (to my ears at least) sounds nice too.

So far its been trouble free. I have had the back end step out a couple of times but this was down to rider error (once I was bit enthusiastic going round a corner and recently exiting a roundabout, probably diesel on the road). At approaching 7k the back tyre is squaring off and I'll change it when its down for its second service. I've had to tighten the chain a couple of times, but don't know how this compares.

Its mostly ridden for pleasure and reasonably spiritedly. It gets used for my daily commute once or twice a week (dependent on the the weather and what's in store for me that day at work, its not practical to humpf all your PPE for site visits and coupled with the pittance you get to claim for mileage compared with a car it doesn't make economic sense either)

This brings me to my major 'con' with the bike: service intervals. 3.5k? c'mon, its not really practical on what's marketed as an adventure tourer. Not aided by my nearest Suzuki dealer not being the most helpful of workshops (was quoted a 7 week wait for its 4k service!) which has led me to heading south (and a 150 mile round trip, which fortunately, can be dome on some decent roads...). Also allowed me to demo the new 1000 too.

I've not been plagued by buffeting but I foresee a requirement for a Givi Airflow if I keep her.

All in all though its been a great first bike and I've thoroughly enjoyed it. Looking back on it, it was definitely the better choice for a first bike and I don't regret buying it over the Tiger.

That said, to an extent, I'm thinking I might've outgrown it and I've been getting a restless, wandering eye. I've tried the new 1000 but I've remained unconvinced. I've also recently taken another demo on the Tiger... I mostly prefer the way it rides to the 1000 (mainly how the gears work), cleaner air at head height and better residuals but the reduced range of the Tiger (and having to rely on that workshop) doesn't fill me with joy. Better engine braking and a service interval better matched to my annual mileage isn't enough to sway me either.

I'll probably end up keeping her another year (it would kind of be crazy not to really).

Anyway here are some pictures from the last year that wouldn't have been taken without her:

The day I picked her up:
the pass

First proper ride out (at the Cabrach):
cabrach

Loch Carron (first 400 miler day):
Loch Carron

Somewhere on the way to Lochgoilhead:
Stopped on the way to Loch Lomond somewhere

The fabled Applecross trip:
Applecross top

The road to Kinlochewe (from the main viewpoint car park)

Skye (from the road to Applecross #2) by Metalheart-UK, on Flickr

Thanks for staying with me this far...  :)

Offline stedor

Re: One Year In
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 14:06:14 »
Excellent post, and fantastic photos. Had my Glee nearly 3 years now, she runs faultlessly, 8000 miles now, like yourself tried a Tiger 800 and the new Vstrom 1000 and unconvinced by both. Planning on keeping her for the foreseeable future, still get a buzz every trip. I see yours is the fastest colour like mine too :grin:  Enjoy your bike and ride safe.

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 14:14:10 »
Interesting, enjoyable read, Frankenstrom - thanks for posting! :)
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 17:37:04 »
Great update and great pictures. I've nearly had mine 10 years and I have no itch to get anything else  :)
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi