Author Topic: Riding two up and saddle height.  (Read 740 times)

Online Joe Rocket

• Bike: DL650A L5, Kawasaki GPX750R
Riding two up and saddle height.
« on: September 16, 2014, 21:21:15 »
My first questions here so please let me apologise if it's old hat. (I have searched previous posts without finding the answer).

Statements on other forums (yes, I spy a little but don't we all  :shy: ) suggest that the 650 lacks pulling power two-up and loaded with luggage. Does any of you find this so?  Mrs Rocket and I aren't big people and we only load the bike up two or three times in the year.

Also I've seen some comments concerning saddle height for the rider and tip-toe control 'at rest'. Is this a problem for shorter riders? I'm 5'8" tall and sat on a 2004 V-Strom and had my non-booted toes on the ground;  two up would lower the seat height more.

Any opinions would be appreciated.  :text-imnewhere:

I don't think it will change my decision to buy that red one.......... :lala:

Joe Rocket.  :)))
So how's it going so far then?

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
Re: Riding two up and saddle height.
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 22:37:53 »

Loaded, 2 up, through France, Belgium and The Netherlands and back. We're both around 13 stone and the luggage capacity was 160 litres. Still sits at 80-85mph indicated without any hassle and if you drop a gear you can overtake easily enough that it won't bother you that it's "only" a 650. If you want to rocket past everything while seeing nothing and risking your passenger's life then you need something bigger, otherwise a 650 is ample (people do go two up on smaller bikes.)

Seat height does decrease a bit with a pillion on, but the bike also becomes more top heavy so be mindful that it needs to lean less at standstill before it becomes a problem to hold up the weight.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline Oop North John

• Bike: DL650 M0, YB100 - 1990
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 07:26:07 »
95% of the time the 650 has sufficient power / torque for me when two up with luggage. Probably has plenty of power 99% for my favourite pillion. For the rider, the other 5% happens when trying to out drag a powerful car going up a fairly steep hill.

On the motorway cruising at a GPS 80mph you get nowhere near the easy 60mpg on main / back roads, but the 650 will do it without protest, even if it's a little buzzy.

Above based on about 10 000 miles two up, much with luggage on, going down through Croatia and the south of France so a fair few alpine passess included. I'm on my second 650, but the 1000 is looking tempting as it will have the extra power / torque for the other 5% of the time, and has much longer service intervals. But the big question is, is the 1000 bike worth the extra 50% on top of a 650's price to me?

Online Joe Rocket

• Bike: DL650A L5, Kawasaki GPX750R
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 20:57:01 »
Thanks for the replies. (I did reply yesterday but the 'glitch' erased it)

You've confirmed my confidence in the bike, off to Vannes tomorrow to get to ride one!

Joe Rocket.  :)))
So how's it going so far then?