Author Topic: Dog bones, seat or both.  (Read 835 times)

Offline macamx

Dog bones, seat or both.
« on: August 28, 2014, 17:09:08 »
Going to buy a new 650 in the near future. Now then as I suffer from "Ducks Disease" (arse to close to the ground) I need to reduce the seat height. As always I wish to "have my cake and eat it" and not compromise handling and or comfort so what's the perceived wisdom. Is it best to go "dog bones" and drop the forks possibly to the detriment of the handling or go lower seat and risk compromising the handlebar, seat, footrest ergonomics. Views would be appreciated.  (Tim, you can just give me your view at work tomorrow).

Geoff.

Offline Goodlad

Re: Dog bones, seat or both.
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 10:00:16 »
I recently got a 2010 vee and had this debate.
I'm not sure how you reduce the seat height on a 650. On the 1000 which I got the answer was to put on a 650 seat as its narrower and lower than the 1000 seat.

I also went ahead and put 20mm lower dog bones on it and then dropped the forks by 20mm also.
The bike feel way more stable to me at high speed. Much less of a wobble once I hit about 180kmh.

I'm also able to get both feet down solid now. The downside which I'm seeing is peg scraping... I only lowered it 20mm and I'm scraping pegs on every roundabout and on any tight corners. Needless to say its making me a bit wary when cornering because I'm constantly worried the peg is going to catch on the road and feck me off the bike.

Offline V-Twin

• Bike: Fantic Caballero Deluxe 500
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 15:55:30 »
macamx

I dropped my front down approx 18mm, & fitted the drop dog bones -20mm.
The ones I got where these...
Suzuki DL650 V-Strom - 25mm lowering kit
( 110916691908 ) @ £15. pr.(ebay)
All fitted & a good test ride followed.
I found it turned in a lot quicker, was good.
Feet on ground OK.
So far no probs.
Yes your a little closer to the ground but I have no probs with the centre stand or foot pegs.
VT

Offline Tim

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 16:51:06 »
Geoff Ben makes the dog bones in house, so you can try a few heights.

Offline macamx

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 17:07:57 »
Quote from: "Tim"
Geoff Ben makes the dog bones in house, so you can try a few heights.

I thank you.

Geoff.

Offline Hedgemonkey

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 07:46:04 »
I wouldn't worry about scraping the pegs, if you have the chicken studs under the pegs, take them off and the peg will fold up anyway when you ground them, I regularly have mine down on spirited riding. mind you if you start to scrape the panniers go buy a GSXR. :lala:

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2014, 12:24:35 »
The studs are an early warning system and the pegs will fold even with them on, mine does. If you have a centre stand the left stud is longer so that it will scrape before your centre stand lever does. If you remove the stud and your centre stand scrapes and gets caught you could end being chucked down the road.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog