Author Topic: My poor baby - broken footpeg  (Read 1691 times)

Offline dave9191

My poor baby - broken footpeg
« on: August 18, 2014, 12:34:08 »
Hello blokes,

I just got back home after a weekend away. My bike is parked on the street in central London. I have been parking here for years with no problems.

But this time the bike was a few inches to the left of where I left it and it looks like someone reverse into it or something. Bent my brake lever and broke off my footpeg. No one left any insurance info for me.

It's the first time anything bad has happened to my bike and I am still a little shocked and unsure what I should do?

Can I just bend the lever back into place and pop a new footpeg on myself? Or should I transport it to a mechanic and do a full check up on it? I'm a little squeezed for cash at the moment so I am looking for the cheapest safe option.

And where can I buy footpegs from? I haven't found any googling around just now.

Offline iansoady

Re: My poor baby - broken footpeg
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 12:44:16 »
Quote from: "dave9191"
Can I just bend the lever back into place

I wouldn't as the alloy used for these is quite brittle and whilst it may not snap on bending it will be weakened. You should check the pivot as well as this may have been bent.
Ian.
2005 DL650
1931 Sunbeam Model 10

Offline Timmo

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 15:15:46 »
If you try and bend it back use a little heat but chances are it will snap. Check spline first to make sure no damage there. It better to replace or Bike slowly goes down hill with semi fixed damage.

Offline mjc506

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 15:28:49 »
Find a local car with damage to the rear bumper that is ~8" off the ground, and cut a replacement footpeg and brake lever from one of the doors.

This can be a little tricky, so don't worry if you need to use all four doors to get a good finished product.

:angry-tappingfoot: Bastards.

I'd attempt bending the lever back (careful, a little heat won't hurt) but have a replacement on quick delivery ready if that fails :)

Obviously, the footpeg will need replacing.

I wouldn't worry too much about hidden damaged - it's not that difficult to drag/push the bike a couple of inches sideways, so there can't have been that much force. The sidestand will have taken more load than normal, but they're well built enough to lift the bike off the ground, so no problems there :)
Projects:
DL650 engine rebuild: Complete!
Brighter rear indicators]Complete![/url]
Heated mirrors]Complete![/url]
Cruise control/Speed limiter/V-puter]Pending...[/color]

Offline putbinoot

• Bike: WEE, KLX250, GasGas 250, GasGas 125

Offline iansoady

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 15:59:16 »
Quote from: "Timmo"
If you try and bend it back use a little heat but chances are it will snap. Check spline first to make sure no damage there. It better to replace or Bike slowly goes down hill with semi fixed damage.

It'll be cast aluminium alloy and heating probably won't help (not like steel where you can watch it go red hot, alloy just melts at inconvenient times). OP did seem to imply they weren't very experienced at mechanics.

You don't want a brake lever snapping just when you're using it (which of course is when it will happen).
Ian.
2005 DL650
1931 Sunbeam Model 10

Offline dave9191

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 16:07:06 »
Thanks for the feedback.

I shall replace the brake lever to be on the safe side. I wouldn't want that to snap on me when trying to stop the bike. Not worth the risk.

I've placed an order for a replacement footpeg and still looking for the brake lever. I'm happy to fit these parts myself, but I don't have anything to heat the brake lever, or a workshop or garage to work in. I have some, but limited mechanical know how.

:ty:

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 17:47:27 »
I've bent my brake lever back twice and it's still fine, just take it slowly, I didn't even use heat. You'll see if it shows cracks on the bend when you're done, if it does then you can replace it.

Replacing the foot peg is easy, grab a 2nd hand pair off eBay if you're skint.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline Pedro41

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 18:04:07 »
There's a folding gear lever and brake lever for sale here;-  shouldn't happen again....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/dickie_bow/m. ... 7675.l2562

Offline dave9191

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2014, 18:24:52 »
Heya,

Thanks for all the feedback. I've got the footstand and brake lever on order from ebay.

Went back in the daylight to inspect the rest of the bike. Found my brand new motorbike cover that I put on last week is now ripped and the kickstand flat bottom bit has bent upwards from the impact. Breaks my heart to see this damage.

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2014, 20:00:14 »
:angry-cussing:  grrrr!

Hope you get it sorted OK!

Offline dave9191

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2014, 20:13:31 »
Thanks, me too. I guess I will see the inside of a bus for a few days :(

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2014, 20:23:19 »
Just the opposite of the story a few weeks ago of someone's bike being knocked over and left with a note that covered the full repair costs.

There's many different types of people out there.
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi