Author Topic: Another big BMW recall.  (Read 3671 times)

Offline iansoady

Re: Another big BMW recall.
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2014, 09:53:52 »
Quote from: "Hilldweller"
Adventure Touring Bikes.

See you/we have been programmed by the advertising men. Whether we like it or not. We accept this term as set in stone.

Come on, it's shorthand. Or do I have to say "tall bike with upright riding position, 19" front wheel, long(er) travel suspension, partial fairing, soft engine, soft brakes" every time?

They used to be called "big trailies" but nobody (well hardly anybody) ever expected to go trail riding on them.
Ian.
2005 DL650
1931 Sunbeam Model 10

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2014, 10:00:48 »
I've realised not all BMW owners are plonkers, only most. Cymarc showed up on his 1200 GSA at ST7 and he was a great bloke :thumb: I'm hopeful that there are other like him now lol

I bought a Wee because the BMW salesmen wouldn't pay attention to me when I showed up on a 125cc to look at a "650" in their showroom (it was called a 650, but had a 700 engine :crazy: ) What a stroke of luck it was that I anger quickly about stuff like that and then started doing research into other bikes that were similar. I soon realised the reputation of BMW dealers and the unreliability of their bikes. I wanted a bike with a high upright riding position as I have bad wrists that hurt very quickly if I have to support some of my weight on them. I don't really fancy sportbikes unless it's for track riding, I'm too sensible :grin: I admit the possibility of riding some off road on the Wee was appealing, but I didn't get the interest for that from LWR. The Wee gets TKC80 tyres on later this year and is going to Morocco, it's serving it's intended purpose well :clap:
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Hilldweller

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2014, 13:26:08 »
Quote from: "SnowStrom"
I have no interest at all in 'adventure' biking and I've never seen Two Blokes Onna BMW :D

The first attempt was very entertaining and what many in here would love to do. Loads if not all on youtube.

The mistake was being greedy and making the second one.

Interesting - not many "adventure" bikes in the above clip.

Hilldweller

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2014, 13:38:00 »
Quote from: "Juvecu"
The Wee gets TKC80 tyres on later this year and is going to Morocco, it's serving it's intended purpose well :clap:

Most roads are tarmac, a lot good but a lot narrow so be prepared to step off the tarmac at the request of a big truck, that's when these might save you. You will see pots holes on a grand scale and missing road, washed away, where the only sign is a single small rock where the tarmac has gone missing. Miss one of those stones and you'll hopefully be flying home your Strom forever a part of Morocco.

If you want true off road, you'll find plenty of rural roads we'd consider green laning.

They believe in Allah, no harm in sharing this belief whilst on their roads.

Offline JRS81

• Bike: DL650 K5
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2014, 14:14:55 »
When I was in Morocco last year I was actually quite impressed by how good most of the roads were. Apparently they've had a bit of a push to upgrade their roads recently and it certainly appears to have paid off! There were the odd dodgy stretches where you had to remain vigilant, and yes, the trucks can be interesting on some of the mountain roads. What Morocco does have is a lot of 'pistes' which are like light off-road riding. Gravel or dirt, but they are maintained and kept reasonably flat. Find a good one and it's great fun on a v-strom as you can blast along at a good speed with a nice dust cloud filling your mirrors!

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2014, 17:57:36 »
The idea is to stay away from paved roads as much as we can, we're up for as much off road as we can manage :auto-dirtbike: There are plenty of places to ride on paved roads other than Morocco, while there we want to get the unpaved roads riding done that you can't get done in the UK. Bit of desert and dunes will be great too, I think that will be a big learning experience (sand is a bastard!)
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)

Hilldweller

« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2014, 20:14:08 »
Quote from: "Juvecu"
Bit of desert and dunes will be great too, I think that will be a big learning experience (sand is a bastard!)

That's all there is in Morocco, a bit and really only some dunes. To get there you'll have many miles of "normal" roads.

You can do sand in Southport or Pembrey.

Morocco is about a different culture and toilets that make your stomach churn, French squat toilets that were last cleand when the French ruled the place a long long time ago.. It's about markets, meat hanging in the sun covered in flies, bartering. High mountain passes. The biggest surprise is how lush/green and European northern Morocco is.

Two must visit places Meknes and Essaouira. Meknes inland and lovely example or Moroccan city culture on a walkable scale. Essaouira for a delightful coast resort, again on a walkable scale.

Offline Jacksnipe

« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2014, 20:53:42 »
I have what is supposed to be one of the last real top quality BM's a  K1200 RS SE 2002. It has only done 25000 and is mint but it has a few Achilles heels as a model, including a nasty habit for the clutch slave cylinder to leak and trash the clutch, and then the clutch push rod felt does the same. My bike has had both so I am now on my third clutch ( two new to me) and the last one lasted under 7000 miles. I do not believe the new BM's are better than other makes far from it.

This is post I made recently on a BM forum ;

I suspect we are getting felt up the trouser leg on this one, you buy the latest BM say a six cylinder with all the bells and whistle's on for £18000? It has 3 years warranty then you feel obliged to add the extended warranty at £30.00 a month. I presume we are expecting MC's to have at least a 12 - 15 years useful life cycle (At least) So that £18000 bike is really nearer £22000 pounds and you have not included the servicing in that as well. If as I suspect is the case to get BM to look after the extended warranty, owners feel duty bound to go the Dealer Network for servicing you can add for the life cycle at least £6000. Of course by the middle to later stages of the life cycle the bikes value is plummeting and therefore so is the amount the warranty will pay out. So the prospect of an economic write off looms large.

I am not filled by a lot of Bon Hommie on this one and me feels somebody is taking Big Piss !

WM.
(For the clever cloggs figures are approximate)

I suppose if I wanted I could have any of the new BM's but they fail to cut it for me. They are increasingly gimmicky for  gimmicks sake, like ESA that is costing over £2000 to sort !! Forget all this crap about Kudos and the badge, the Suzuki is a great bike and will prove mega reliable and rewarding if you look after it.

WM

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2014, 21:19:40 »
you mention the K1200 RS...

my mate traded his GSX750f - a very reliable bike (apart from constant battery flat incidents as he wouldn't take up my offer to relay the heated grips) for the K1200 RS last spring.

this year after regular use it made a funny noise and spat all it's pistons over the road  :shock:

he's good with the general maintenance of the bike an ritualistic on his daily/weekly checks and commutes most days on a bike. the BMW had covered around the 38k mark, his GSX750f was just around the 39k mark when he sold it to another manager in the same company who rides past him on it most mornings beeping the horn.  :bawl:
the beemer is now scrap, and he's looking at a V-strom since our trip to north Wales a while back sparked his interest seeing how comfy I was yet still had fun on the mid/north Wales roads.

I'm trying to stay out of this thread, as everyone here I think knows my feelings on BMW after one tried to kill my uncle in SA.
Pay your money, take your chances.
BMW are doing the same thing as many desirable makes- offer bells and whistles, inflate the price tag and they'll want it as it's got the badge...

look at how many people buy iPhones, how many of those stop working or crack the screen if you look at them wrong, owners complain and complain about them, but the new model comes out and they are first in line.

Ride Coordinator

Offline Jacksnipe

« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2014, 21:28:25 »
Mr Muffdiver, Bad luck for your mate, in fairness loads of RS's have done way over 150000 miles (In USA) but he was might unlucky. Many BM rider's will only have a BM if they carry on the extended warranty, that's nearly £400 a year before you start servicing it !

A lot of the new BM's are corroding badly in key areas like the engine cases and the final drive housing as well. As they say Bullshit Baffles Brains as they seem to keep selling in big numbers.

WM

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2014, 21:35:37 »
iPhones are great, never had a bad one. Apart from the one that vibrated itself to death when the granddaughter dribbled all over it, hardly the phones fault. Oh, and my first 5 that developed a fault in the ear piece and had to be replaced, eventually. Oh, and the fact that, every so often, it forgets it's got a SIM card in, common fault I the 5's apparently. Great phone, I always have the best.

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2014, 21:43:43 »
bbbbaaaaaahhhhhh

lol

Ride Coordinator

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2014, 21:52:07 »
What you shag in your spare time is none of my business.

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2014, 22:39:02 »
lol  :clap: