Author Topic: Suzuki Luggage  (Read 835 times)

Offline Endoman

Suzuki Luggage
« on: March 12, 2014, 15:47:26 »
Hi!
Can anyone out there help with Suzuki luggage advice? Have tried searching but couldn't find anything relevant.
Just bought a new Glee (Thanks MartinW for the definitions!) with the GT pack, so that me and the Lady Wife can go do some touring.
The bike is great and I love it, but, the Suzuki panniers and top-box each have a label fixed inside stating that the max weight allowed is 3kg; in other words 9kg in total!
I have written to Suzuki GB and asked if this is correct and if so how they reconcile the “Grand Touring” label with such a low weight capacity – they replied as follows:-
“We can confirm that our entire luggage accessories range is rigorously tested and meets with the relevant type approval for this market. The factory set specific load limits for the luggage upon the tests completed by them which are confirmed in the instructions supplied with each product. These limits are in place to ensure that the additional weight applied does not affect the performance or safety of the motorcycle. A customer can exceed the limits set at their own discretion.”

I take that to mean that if I pack more than 9kg and there’s a problem, it’s my fault. Not really what I would have expected from a global company like Suzuki.
I have pointed out that they make much of the “class leading luggage capacity” in their marketing blurb, but fail to add “max weight limit 9kg”
This latter would be much more helpful – after all physical dimensions dictate volume, but not weight – and that, surely, is just as important?
Biking publications also usually give capacity in litres but not weight – anyone know why not?

Waiting for a response from Suzuki....

If anyone has a real-world experience of this luggage (which is manufactured I believe, by Hepco and Becker) please could you reply?
Ta everso.
Endo

EDIT:
Just received reply:-
"We again note your dissatisfaction regarding the luggage accessories supplied with your DL650 V-Strom and apologise for any disappointment caused.

We can again confirm that any weight limit set by the factory with regards to luggage accessories is a guide and is something we would stress a customer adheres too in order to ensure the continued safety and reliability of the motorcycle.

Your comments regarding the way in which the products in question are advertised has been registered with our Accessories Division who can confirm that luggage capacity is measured in litres and therefore this is the measurement we would publish to give a comparative guide on the products storage capability/volume. We apologise should you feel this is unsatisfactory.

We would again like to thank you for taking the time to contact us."

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
Re: Suzuki Luggage
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 17:09:47 »
Endoman - sorry I have no specifics for you, but evrything (even the bikes, all bikes) have maximum weight guidances (I think its 32 stone for the entire bike!). The rack will have, or have had, a sticker with a max of 10 kg/22lbs; all luggage (Givi stuff, for example - their e21's have a max of 5kg!) is the same, with ludicrously low figures given.

The good news is that everybody regularly exceeds the over-cautious guidance weights without consequence. :grin:  Its more important to get the weight distribution correct imho :shrug:

What it all means in a legal sense, I've nee bloody idea, though! :)  :shrug:

One thing I would add (and sorry to add to your annoyance, endoman, but feel I have to say it) is that occasionally, some pieces of Suzuki luggage can sometimes open when it shouldn't, apparently...Someone with more experience (as opposed to my zero!) of the luggage may be able to tell you more, and how to ensure it doesn't happen to you.
I must stress - its just the odd item...
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline Mitch

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 17:13:43 »
It' all about liability if something goes wrong.

I vaguely remember (might well be wrong here) The rack on the bike itself ( and Givi racks ) are only rated at 10kg or so.

This obviously is a load of sh@te as a larger Givi Trekker weighs about that filled with fresh air.

Same as a bike will only carry 2 fat people and no luggage if you took the weight warning seriously.

:auto-dirtbike:
VSTROM - ADVENTURE IS OUT THERE

Offline Oop North John

• Bike: DL650 M0, YB100 - 1990
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 17:23:47 »
Quote from: "Gassoon"
One thing I would add (and sorry to add to your annoyance, endoman, but feel I have to say it) is that occasionally, some pieces of Suzuki luggage can sometimes open when it shouldn't, apparently...Someone with more experience (as opposed to my zero!) of the luggage may be able to tell you more, and how to ensure it doesn't happen to you.
I must stress - its just the odd item...

Might that just be the Wee / Vee luggage that self opens?

I agree that I look at the limits in the boxes and then mainly ignore them, but try to keep all the heavy stuff out of the top box, and ideally in the tank bag. For a laugh, have a look at what Charlie and Ewan took on the LWR, how much abuse the bikes got, and how long it took for the frame to give in to the excess weight.

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 17:57:57 »
The auto-open feature is only on the old Wee/Vee OEM luggage.

The weight limits is there so you don't sue them if it goes sideways, load them up, down worry about the weight, just make sure the catches aren't under stress (meaning: don't overstuff the panniers and then force them closed.) Remember to set some preload on the rear shock to account for any extra weight.

Disclaimer: I don't take any responsibility for anyone following any of my advice :grin:
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 18:01:39 »
Ooops - sorry gents! Just noticed you have a 2014 650 endoman! Back to school and book-learnin for me :shy:
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline Endoman

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 18:36:42 »
Thanks for the replies folks. I appreciate the input.

I have wanged another email off to 'em asking them to explain in simple terms why, according to their figures I can't, effectively, use the luggage I just paid a bloomin' fortune for.

I know I am probably being a crusty old barnacle, but it just seems to me that based on their figures the stuff ain't fit for purpose and I resent the fact that they try to off-load responsibility on to me.

BTW:
BMW 800 GT is 10kg per pannier/top-box.
Me old Transalp was the same.
Triumph 800 ditto
Givi quote figures on their website.
Anyone have figures for Hepco and Becker, 'cos I'm floundering somewhat....
Thanks again!

Offline JRS81

• Bike: DL650 K5
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 19:19:26 »
I have a Givi rack with Givi luggage. The pannier frame said 10kg per side, and the panniers the same, then the top box also says 10kg max. I have exceeded this many times without any problems.

I believe the luggage you have on your bike is made by Kappa, which is the same as Givi, so perhaps have a look and see if you can find anything that looks similar made by either one of those manufacturers online and see what they say on their website. They'll probably say 10kg a side as it seems to be pretty standard for all of their luggage!

Offline JRS81

• Bike: DL650 K5
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2014, 19:30:41 »
I'm wrong! It's made by Hepco and Becker, but they don't seem to publish information about maximum carrying weight.

Looking at the construction, I can't see that they would be any weaker than the Givi stuff....