Author Topic: First MOT  (Read 1208 times)

Offline Fossie

• Bike: DL650
First MOT
« on: April 24, 2022, 22:44:08 »
Friday saw the 650 vstrom's first MOT . 85500miles ..gutted was hoping for 100,000.. :grin: but  that'll be October . :shock:

So in the 3 years it's had a second hand low mileage rear shock at 70000, 1 set of discs all round ...but will need another this year :icon_wink:  3 sets of heated grips as they worn out down to wire :shock:
Sprocket carrier bearing and front wheel bearings .
The abs is worn and gets a bit out of sync .....like the Bandits before these DLs .
A replacement Scottoiler as the original was damaged by piece of debris.
 The tyres are changed ( Michelin pilots ...dogs danglies)at 8000miles along with the brake pads and service....chains last 3 services but the front sprocket is changed every service since the original was replaced at 3rd service. It lessens the wear on the chain and is cheap enough .
The only broken item was a wire from the starter solenoid that caused odd things on the dashboard but was only off the road for a day or so.
 The EML comes on everyday , but goes off again after a few stop starts .. It'll probably come on again later but no descernable loss of power.  ( it's been like that for 18 months or so.) It reads front cyl wiring but investigations revealed nothing.
 It's been crashed tested and survived without surgery  :bow-blue:

Offline cooltshirt

• Bike: DL650 L6
Re: First MOT
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2022, 07:26:53 »
Impressive! I would say that overall that is trouble free biking.
"To feel the warm thrill of confusion, that space cadet glow"

Offline Upt North

• Bike: DL650 L7
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2022, 09:23:07 »
So, if I'm reading this right you've done all that in three years, hat's off to you fella. What is the general engine health like after that much mileage, is it still strong, burning any oil etc.
Upt'North.
 :bow-blue:

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2022, 19:03:31 »
Respect Fossie. That's some good mileage you've got there  :auto-dirtbike:

If it wasn't for Covid, I might have hit your mileage but the bike is 10 years old this year, not three.

Online Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2022, 19:51:17 »
But then again, you're not a dizzy.............

Offline Fossie

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2022, 20:17:22 »
So, if I'm reading this right you've done all that in three years,
It doesn't use any oil between services , it starts straight away even if it left for a few weeks while I visit my 650 Kat that resides elsewhere :smirk:
It is maintained by Suzuki Bolton ( luckily it is a company bike so I don't foot the bill...though to be fair it is fair ) so OEM parts are used apart from the chain and sprockets.
 Yep I am a dispatch rider on a circuit that does 200miles aday with 30-40 set time collections.
Hence the other things I forget to mention 2 clutch levers....as the pivot holes get worn oval and the lever gets loose .  3 clutch cables ..only because when new they are long and adjustment is taken up quickly ..
  We had another 2 new vstrom  650s added to our office last May and they are at 30000miles after a year ..
  :bow-blue:

Online Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2022, 20:27:27 »
How did your gear change pivot fare?

Offline Fossie

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2022, 22:22:34 »
A good question rusty nuts ...to be honest it's still original, but we've "aged together " :grin: it is cleaned and greased , adjusted at the bar ... The rubber sleeve has been renewed a few times but only a quid or so and just slides on .

Offline 2112

• Bike: Honda 750 Transalp, Victory Crossroads 1731
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2022, 17:27:42 »
Very impressive and testimony to how well the 650's are put together  :thumb:
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline Fossie

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2022, 19:54:11 »
 :lala:We did it , 100,000 miles  :text-bravo:
The bike has now been semi retired to the spare bike to be used when one of the others goes for service . It took a few days longer than originally anticipated because he was in the "doctors " because while in for a service they washed it :shock:   It then leaked oil , which came from the sprocket output shaft seal ...the bearing behind it has a bit of play  :smirk:  This, because it's a working company bike will be too expensive to repair on a bike with this mileage ( main dealer prices and schedule). Hence the well earned rest regime .
  Replaced by ...a 72 plate vstrom picked it up today , initial service ( check really ) booked in for Friday.
 So we go again ....These Bridgestone tyres fitted OEM  :shock: