Author Topic: Brake pads  (Read 3561 times)

Offline bosnjo

• Bike: DL1000 L7
Re: Brake pads
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2014, 17:11:41 »
Quote from: "Rusty Nuts"
Bosnjo, you've got me intrigued. Can't see anything but standard type pads and shims on the fiche page. Can you point the soft white ones out on this page (or wherever you can see them)
 http://www.mrcycles.com/oemparts/a/suz/505a163af8700203b4ed1c34/front-caliper
Thanks.
As I said previously, I was not sure if the white ones are for both front and rear pads. I looked carefully now and they are only on rear pads. On the page you've posted - rear caliper - number 16
DL1000 2017 white
DL1000 2014 red (sold)
DL650 2012 white (sold)

Online Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2014, 18:30:45 »
Yup- got 'em. "Insulator". Never seen or had these on any brakes before, but never had a rear as modern as that. (Last Suzuki was a 1992 GSX1100G)

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2014, 18:44:55 »
Quote from: "bosnjo"
Quote from: "Jacko"
Ahh, so not backing plates then. I was right, you were on about something else.

I've never had sliding callipers before, didn't know they had the shims.
Yeah, took the term from something else, obviously... Sorry... English is not my mother tongue nor I've ever lived in english speaking country, so, from time to time I make these mistakes.
But I'm trying hard... :chores-chopwood:

Your English is just fine, it was my ignorance that was at fault, forgive me. :)

Offline bosnjo

• Bike: DL1000 L7
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2014, 18:58:34 »
Quote from: "bosnjo"
Ahh, so not backing plates then. I was right, you were on about something else.

I've never had sliding callipers before, didn't know they had the shims.
Yeah, took the term from something else, obviously... Sorry... English is not my mother tongue nor I've ever lived in english speaking country, so, from time to time I make these mistakes.
But I'm trying hard... :chores-chopwood:

Your English is just fine, it was my ignorance that was at fault, forgive me. :)
Nothing to forgive, c'mon, we're all family here, no offense taken, at all.
DL1000 2017 white
DL1000 2014 red (sold)
DL650 2012 white (sold)

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2014, 22:12:21 »
Bit late to the discussion, but I use EBC HH pads on the front and normal on the rear. Used to have HH on the rear too, but the bite and stopping is a bit too much when combined with better brake hoses. HH ones  do eat disks faster than the normal pads. Stay away from Gold Fren, destroyed a front set in 4k miles and the rear wasn't much better.

I recently changed pads on my DR-Z, went for EBC TT (enduro) organic pads all round and I quite like them. Slightly less bite compared to HH pads which makes the slow speed braking a bit smoother/controlled, but still significant stopping power if you brake harder. I don't expect them to last as long as HH pads, but even if they last half of what HH pads last me I'd live with it (I think they will last longer than half though.) They also appear to be easier on the new disks I fitted than what the HH pads on the Strom was. I might even fit EBC TT pads to the Strom next time I change.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog