Author Topic: Telegraph Test  (Read 1030 times)

Offline timangus

• Global Biker
  • Bike: DL650A L2
Telegraph Test
« on: January 14, 2014, 10:36:34 »
There was a review in the Telegraph last Sunday on the new DL1000 which I thought was very fair. They emphasised Suzuki's intention that the bike should look off road but not go there and and as such tailor it more for what it is really used for - touring. However the luggage like the last lot is insufficient. The topcase needs to hold 2 helmets, and the side cases are too small and sit at an odd angle if viewed from the back. However many good updates and shifting the torque much lower will make it a better bike to ride. I will avoid riding it until the weather improves and I can explain to my wife why, when I have a V Strom with every extra needed (and a few more) do I want to start all over again!

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
Telegraph Test
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 11:36:16 »
It was the Kevin Ash review in The Telegraph that prompted me to test ride the new 650, I probably wouldn't have bothered were it not for him.

Thanks Kev, RIP.

Offline sharealike

• Site Donator
  • Bike: DL650, SV1000, Triumph Street Twin, Yam XT350 and Hon CX500
Re: Telegraph Test
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 11:38:21 »
I never let a press road test make or influence decisions for me. Otherwise the roads would be full of the same bikes such as..... Find it best to go prove things for yourself, by yourself if you get my drift.

The manufacturers lend bikes out to the press in a hope they write a glowing review, but the real benefit is the publicity. Fact they raise awareness that Suzuki have a bike in this category is most important. So now someone considering an adventure bike includes it in their list to check over before making a decision. The more consider it, the more sales they are likely to make.

Fact the Telegraph review only gave it three stars out of five may not be good for the bike or Suzuki on the one hand. But if in your own full test ride it proves good for you, then that poor press rating could signal a move on price that gives us a brilliant bike at a significant discount. Fingers crossed.
Please contact me directly about clutch basket modifications. john@vibefreev.com
Website http://www.vibefreev.com/