Author Topic: Test ride today  (Read 2265 times)

Offline TrevorKent

Test ride today
« on: January 04, 2014, 18:26:01 »
Hi everyone,

I have already ordered a new 1000 so perhaps some of you will consider I am not an impartial tester but here is my opinion anyway.

I rode one of the Spanish registered demo bikes today at Alford bros, Folkestone. The weather was abysmal but I took it out anyway. My immediate impression was positive I felt at home at once and the size and weight felt very much like my 650. The power was useable even in very wet conditions, the engine felt very smooth and just had that extra power/grunt that I wanted my old bike to have. Brakes were great and reminded me of my old K5 gixer, I didn't push them hard but they had good feel in the rain. The suspension felt taut and an improvement from the softer 650 set up. I had an hour on motorway, A roads and country lanes including crossing a 20 foot wide 12 inch deep flood. The bike was planted in all conditions.

I have given up my DL650 and my 750 gixer to be able to buy this bike, I know some of you have question the price, but for me I will have in March the bike perfect for my needs and I am very happy and to be honest that's all that counts.

Trevor

Offline Tusker

• Bike: NO BIKE
Re: Test ride today
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 18:30:17 »
your last comment very much hits the obvious nail on its head  :thumb: enjoy

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 20:57:50 »
Cheers for the review - and for the sound attitude: what makes you happy is what matters :grin:  :lala:
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline stibbs

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 21:02:19 »
Enjoy it. We're all different that's why there's so many different bikes :thumb:

Offline loggamatt

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 21:43:00 »
Yep, exactly... if it puts a smile on your face when you ride it, how can it possibly be the wrong bike? This is how I feel about bikes... one man's nightmare bike is another man's dream bike, no such thing as a universally awful motorbike!

Offline petestrom

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 08:41:55 »
Well done on your new bike, it certainly is a cracking machine to ride, I couldn't fault it for the ride or comfort.  The only issue I have is the current price, can't take anything from the bike though it achieves what it set out to do.  
Bet you're looking forward to March to enjoy the ride.   :thumb:
Pete

Make someone's day, it'll come back to you sometime.

Offline Frankenstrom

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 08:53:08 »
Well Trevor, sounds like you've found the right bike.

Your *review* makes me want to try one for myself all the more! Esp, the bit re. size and weight.

Guess I'll just to wait and hope the local dealer gets a demo bike in in March....  :)

Offline putbinoot

• Bike: WEE, KLX250, GasGas 250, GasGas 125
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 19:22:35 »
Today I also took out the new bike and was surprised how nice it was, handle bars don't have that crazy pull back angle of the 650, power was nice and the traction control did work for me (must remember never open the throttle while on the banding), brakes, clutch and shifting felt nice and although only 5' 7" I went out with the tall seat option and had no problem. Bike felt light also.

Only two things I was not sure of, first the throttle action just seemed a bit too easy probably something you will get used to once you ride it more and the mirrors. Got most of the buffeting away while playing with the screen on a motorway run but still had a bit at fast cruise speed. Not sure if this is the mirrors or not but did not have time to take out the second demo bike with the new design mirrors as that's all in my mind.  :shy:

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2014, 14:59:19 »
Hehe, "new design mirrors", I see they finally went with the Tuono style mirrors as so many other maufacturers have.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog