Author Topic: Hepco Backer Pannier Rails  (Read 673 times)

Offline Chris Graves

• Bike: V-Strom DL 650, ZZR 1100, Honda CRF250L
Hepco Backer Pannier Rails
« on: October 09, 2013, 17:16:34 »
Well I finally decided afeter three weeks of spending the life of a lotus eater I'd better get my HB pannier rails fitted.  Big mistake, I'd possibly have more chance of performing a successful heart transplant with a blunt boy scout knife.

I thought I be systematic and RTFM. So downloaded HB fitting instructions which now if you scroll right down to the end are provided in English, this saves you having to battle with schoolboy German and Google translate.

Step 1:
Preparing:
- Take off the seat, the original rear rack and the rear winker.
- Unmount rear cover.

A classic example of Teutonic brevity.

Take off the seat - no problem - done.

Take off the original rear rack- ditto

and the rear winker :shrug:

unmount the rear cover  :shrug:

Consulted the Suzuki workshop manual to see where it tells you how to remove rear winkers.  Either I can't find it or is it so incredibly simple to do that they don't bother to put it in the manual?  

Unmount the rear cover: does this mean taking off the piece of plastic that goes all around the rear light and becomes the rear mudguard or the piece of plastic that is under the seat where the tools go.

I've currently said "Sod it" and put all the bits in the outhouse and going to have another attempt tomorrow.

I see that HB's fitting instructions go up to number 12, hopefully the next eleven steps will not be so fraught.

Any suggestions/pointers will be gratefully received.

Offline paul747

Re: Hepco Backer Pannier Rails
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 19:58:02 »
hi you have to take the plastic arse end off then you can get at the blinkers there on the bracket that the back lights on have fun   paul

Offline Chris Graves

Re: Hepco Becker Pannier Rails
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 07:34:26 »
Thank you

Offline Chris Graves

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 06:41:51 »
Took all the metal pieces out of the box and found that I have seven pieces and the packing list shows nine.  After close comparison of my pieces to the pictures on the fitting instructions it appears that the only similarity is that they are all black and made of metal. I have pannier rails and fittings just not sure what bike they are for

Email and photos sent to Motobins and I await their reply, meantime I'll put the rear of the bike back together as I'm thinking this could take a while resolve.

Offline Chris Graves

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 17:47:17 »
Phoned Motobins this afternoon and they agreed that what I had would never fit my bike because Hepco Becker had sent me the rails to fit a Glee, not a 2004 DL650 as ordered.  I suggested that the solution to the problem was for me to keep the pannier rails and Hepco Becker could send me a Glee to fit them to, I didn't ask for a brand new one I said a low mileage one would do but they wouldn't bite.

So Motobins are ordering yet another set, I am sending the wrong ones back to the UK some time next week when I get around to it and then I wait with baited breath for some more rails to arrive.

So if anyone wants a set of HB pannier rails to fit a Glee, wait a week or so and give Motobins a ring, they may have a set going cheap. They won't have had a lot of use but they'll certainly be well travelled.