Author Topic: Performance Tuning  (Read 8090 times)

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
Re: Performance Tuning
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2014, 21:05:53 »
Removing the secondary throttle butterflies (STBs) and fitting a TRE does different things. The TRE stops the ECU from retarding the ignition in the lower gears and removing the STBs keeps the throttle bodies wide open at high revs when otherwise the ECU would start to close them, reducing top end power. The TRE doesn't in reality do very much. Some report that the traditional rough low end running of the Vee is improved and perhaps a little more punch in the lower gears. Removing the STBs should extend the power at the top end but unless fuelling is altered to suit it is unlikely to be really useful. I suspect that the limiting factor here are the cams that are profiled to give good low/mid range torque rather than maximum top end b.h.p. It would seem that the best way to get maximum performance from a Vee (without fitting a TL1000 motor?) is to fit a TRE, remove the O2 sensor and STBs, fit a K&N filter, a pair of nice noisy cans, a Power Commander and get the whole thing set on a dyno with gas analysis by someone who really knows what they're doing.

Offline EireSkull

Re: Performance Tuning
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2014, 19:31:23 »
I fitted the new tre I ordered from ebay and it works perfect  :grin:
I now know what the problem was,the new one I've ordered has three wires in each connecter, the other tre that I sent back had three on one connecter but only two wires coming from the other connecter?
That's what was making the fi light come on.
Here is a pic of the one I sent back, have a look at the lower connector (only two wires)
Might help someone else,
 :ty: