Author Topic: AGAIN huh, Gear Indicator  (Read 1262 times)

Offline VStromDL1000Rick

AGAIN huh, Gear Indicator
« on: September 27, 2013, 10:42:55 »
Hi all,

I know this subject has been done and no doubt to death by some but after some searching and looking on the forum, I can't seem to see any reference to the gear indicator for the k2 2002 DL1000.
I would really like to get one of these and have ebay searched and the like but I seem to be coming up with nothing. am I missing something here or is it simply not something that is available to my model.

if someone could let me know a good one and where to get it I would appreciate it, also if there is a "how to" on the subject of this model that would also be appreciated. I am doing a lot of work on my bike at the moment and I want to get all the little bits that have been niggling me out of the way too and this has been one of them.

cheers in advance. :grin:
'You sort of start thinking anything's possible if you've got enough nerve'
"V are family"

Offline VStromDL1000Rick

Re: AGAIN huh, Gear Indicator
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 11:11:55 »
right I have found a site that sells what they say is a plug and play for my model and year, can anyone confirm that the unit they are selling will actually work as they say it will please.

sorry if I'm not supposed to put this here like this :
http://www.bikersdiscountstore.co.uk/ge ... -pd-43.php

wanting to buy a unit this afternoon and just need proper confirmation as I can't get an answer from them at this time.

cheers
"V are family"

Offline Descolada

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 12:08:37 »
I use a GIpro DS Series Gear Indicator. Got it from http://www.bikersdiscountstore.co.uk. It plugs in and then just works, the advertising said you would spend most of your time deciding where to put it and how to route the wiring. They were right.

Offline VStromDL1000Rick

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 12:15:00 »
cheers descolada

I have just been in email chat with said bikerdiscountstore and have had extremely good customer service so far.
Mike Burnside was the chap I have been in contact with and he is an extremely prompt replier.
all the information I asked for was sent to me and helped me make my decision so I have purchased the gipro-s02-bl.

will hopefully turn up early next week and he has assured me as you have that the unit will be great and work practically from the box.

I have some confidence back now and look forward to losing the need to check if I've selected first and the like.

good stuff. will try and do a "this is how you fit it blog"
 :ty:  for the information.
"V are family"

Offline Descolada

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 12:50:29 »
No problem, you won't have any problems fitting it, the plug is on the right-hand side of the tank (where it tank meets the seat) - at least, that's where it is on my wee. Glad I could help, it's always good to give something back  :)

Offline VStromDL1000Rick

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 13:14:15 »
yeah it is that, and I know that if I can even sort 1 persons head out that they can do something then its worth it.
especially now I know how to add pics and stuff. that's made the job a little better and more appealing.
 :fix:
"V are family"

Offline geekay

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 13:58:43 »
I quite fancy one of these - which model of GIpro is it though?

The DS one looks nice and compact - the TRE thing doesn't appear to do anything to the 650 - but which 'model code' of DS is needed? anyone know?

Offline Descolada

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 14:51:38 »
No, I always understood the TRE version to be aimed at the vee, something to do with better performance through the first three gears on something like that. I have also read of a TRE being a little less than healthy for the wee. In short, the wee doesn't need the TRE component so you only need the GIpro DS version.

Think about your colour choice through, remember that you may need to see it in strong sunlight and you don't want to have to squint because you can't make the damned thing out.

With regards to model code, I think the back end of the code is to do with the colour selection, but if in doubt why not give the bloke at bikerdiscountstore a call, I'm sure he will be happy to explain it.

Offline VStromDL1000Rick

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2013, 14:53:58 »
Also if you go on the site it had a select tool for when you want to choose so you get the correct type for your bike model and age. Really quite easy for me to use so must be idiot proof lol
"V are family"

Offline geekay

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2013, 15:25:46 »
ah yes - looking on the laptop, I can see that there is a selector device which advises - this wasn't visible on the iPad earlier. Maybe coded in flash or something.

it needs the "S01" model

thanks again,

Offline VStromDL1000Rick

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2013, 15:27:08 »
sorry should have been more specific, you need to go to the healtech website and on the left side of the page you will see a list of their products. if you click on one of these it opens a sub-menu for other options such as unit spec and the important part which is COMPATABILITY, this then opens up a window where you enter your details on your make, model and year and it spits out the part code for the unit you need for your bike.

this menu system is under all their products and is very handy if your not sure what's what like me. then take this info over to biker discount stores and look it up,  but I still emailed Mike at biker discount stores to confirm he knew what I was after, seems if you go choosing the wrong item I'm confident he would steer you the correct way.

really good customer focus.

:clap:
"V are family"

Offline VStromDL1000Rick

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2013, 15:28:17 »
bit late with my reply sorry , but you got there in the end :shy:
"V are family"

Offline VStromDL1000Rick

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2013, 12:50:20 »
Well I ordered yesterday afternoon, got the correct part number and sorted the delivery out.

The things just arrived now. How quick was that. Really happy with the look of the thing too.
Still can't believe how quick it came, was expecting early next week and to have to strip the tank and stuff again but now I can fit it while it's still in bits (BONUS).

Thanks again to mike at biker discount store. definitely be going back there for stuff, review to come. :)
"V are family"

Offline VStromDL1000Rick

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2013, 19:14:51 »
well it won't be much cause I'm not great at these things as will come clear.

below are a few pics of how I routed the cable for the gear indicator. the thng is a life saver and already calmed me coming to junctions ad stuff as I'm not left wondering which gear I'm in. now I know the purists would probably string me up but I want to ride to enjoy not to worry and second guess. so for that reason I got it and I'm glad I did.

its an great gizmo and its set to 4th gear set up on the extra bit and its running great. its so simple to fit and works from the box, literally string it through under the tank making sure not to leave it near the cylinder heads and plug and play to the connector required. positive lead to the battery till I can figure out what wire is best for the "power on ignition turn on" setup.

got it stuck to he side of my front brake reservoir with the accompanying Velcro. which actually works and cushions vibration to the unit. all the instruction and paperwork come with I and they are very easy to follow. all in all a very good buy , worth the money and even if you don't have your bike opened up like I did at the time it would be a dodle to fit.

so heres the simple pics of how I routed the cable and unit placement.

the above pictures shows the cable tethered to allow slack for full turn so it didn't cause issue, same as my phone cable.

the pic of the connector will have to come later but that's a real easy take apart/put other in part so self explanatory really. the best bit is the fact that you start the bike and the thing kicks up and just works, really really fast too, thought it might have some lag time but there is none at all and the screen brightness is also adjustable and that's good cause I found that the default setting (on 4) was a tad bright so went down a couple. but on a sunny day it may need to go back up one more, we will see.

other than that not much to say other than again its a great product and the seller as mentioned was brilliant. can't fault and I expect to enjoy all my rides now without worry.

good times... :grin:  :auto-dirtbike:
"V are family"

Offline geekay

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2013, 19:25:38 »
Thanks for following up with this. Appreciated.

What model is that? It looks bigger than I thought is would. It's not the "ds" small one is it?

Offline VStromDL1000Rick

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2013, 19:39:26 »
No, it was a little bigger than I expected as I didn't go into all the dimensions and stuff before hand but I'm actually really happy with it as the bikes big and it soon blended in. its this one :

link is the actual gizmo spec
http://www.healtech-electronics.com/dow ... tro_en.pdf

It said large 1" display but that is just the display, I didn't take into account the edge but it only adds a little and like I said I'm happy.
if you wanted to intergrate it into the dash it definitely isn't the one to go for but maybe someone has done it. either way I think they all plug and play this way and are really good.

definitely, without a shadow of a doubt made my ride more pleasurable and I can really be confident changing up and down coming to bends and junctions without that little voice saying " youd better just check".

if anyone needs more pics or info on the thing happy t go out to garage and take seat off and the like.

:grin:
"V are family"

Offline greywolf

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2013, 19:52:52 »
The DS fits nicely on the instruments.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline VStromDL1000Rick

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2013, 20:01:38 »
if that's what your going for then I would definitely get that one, small compact and blends in well. If I was more confident at what I was looking at then I would have gone for that but as I didn't really know the complete idea I just decided to go for big and what I was told was the best, luckily I'm extremely happy with it and like I said it's great.
either way , every unit will have a certain look or ability that will apply to you, but I can guarantee that if your struggling with wanting to know gears then this will be a must have.

I don't have any regrets paying for it that's for sure...... :thumb:
"V are family"