Author Topic: A new 2014 DL1000 article  (Read 14143 times)

Offline Jute

Re: A new 2014 DL1000 article
« Reply #60 on: September 28, 2013, 18:27:49 »
I found cruise control really saved me fuel on French motorways on my old auto  Vauxhall Carlton - but maybe it was because my normal driving style is heavy footed on throttle and brakes. I'd love to try it on a bike.
Fuel consumption is important and it was one of the things that put me off getting a Versys 1000.
Brown colour? What were they thinking! My only brown bike was a CB500T of 70's vintage which had a character and reliability that reflected its colour...
I'd like to be in the market for one but only if it is nearer £8500 than £10,000 plus I'd like to know it could ride smoothly round town with no pogoing on off drive at very low speeds - I hate that on bikes.

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red. 2021 Royal Enfield 500 Classic stealth.
Re: A new 2014 DL1000 article
« Reply #61 on: September 28, 2013, 21:02:49 »
regarding the  "Suzuki  clutch assist system" as fitted to my 1500 Intruder which is cable operated and as light as a feather. Although from the pictures it seems Suzuki have retained hydraulic operation of the clutch. I see that some pictures ( maybe where luggage is fitted) show mirror extenders. while others do not.
It seems to have a mudguard extender fitted (as standard or an extra maybe).

I am concerned that the move to a single headlight results from a narrowing of the frontal area and perhaps less wind blast protection for the rider.

What made my 58 plate "V" ride-able at 85 + mph was the wind blast protection from the body and a big slip screen.
It really doesn't matter how powerful the engine is if the rider is "one sheltered" on a long run as it gets to be too tiring and I would have to throttle back to have a rest.

These points may only be answered during an extended road test. I would not buy a bike without spending at least an hour  in the saddle with mixed town and high speed riding.
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.