Author Topic: A Flood of Petrol  (Read 1633 times)

Offline Descolada

A Flood of Petrol
« on: September 26, 2013, 08:39:23 »
So I went out and started my bike for the daily commute into work. The bike started up but seemed to be idling slower than she should, then she spluttered and stopped. "Strange" I though, "that doesn't usually happen". I started her up again, she spluttered again and stopped.

I tried one last time, aware that this was not going to be my mode of transport for today, but wanting to see if the bike cleared the problem, she started, spluttered and then stopped. I looked down just in time to see a torrent of fuel pour out from under the tank and all down the frame. I turned the ignition off and ran around looking for something to put under the bike to catch the fuel before it spread out all over the driveway. The flow slowed and stopped as soon as I turned off the ignition.

The question now is what the fook just happened. She was fine yesterday and there were no signs of trouble either traveling into or out of work.

Could a blockage somewhere cause such a pressure build up that it could pop the tank connection?

I won't be able to start taking things apart until I head home this afternoon, but any suggestions in the meantime would be greatly appreciated.  

Des

Offline mjc506

Re: A Flood of Petrol
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 09:01:32 »
Sounds like a clamp has failed, or like your say, the fuel line from the tank has come unclipped.

Neither should be a sudden failure like that :shrug: but the fact it stops with the ignition (ie, fuel pump) off means its not a hole in your tank :)

So not sure why it happened, but should be an easy fix. Either clip the hose back on, or pick up a few (FI rated) fuel line clips and/or fuel line.

Good luck!
Projects:
DL650 engine rebuild: Complete!
Brighter rear indicators]Complete![/url]
Heated mirrors]Complete![/url]
Cruise control/Speed limiter/V-puter]Pending...[/color]

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 09:23:49 »
Is your bike kept outside Des? Could someone have fiddled with it overnight? Have you had the tank off recently? If the vent is blocked and the tank full it might overflow through the airbox? Unlikely given it was overnight, come to think of it, too cold...Most likely a split which has popped finally on demand this morning...
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline Descolada

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 09:33:57 »
Yes, it's kept outside under a heavy duty cover every night. Come to think of it I had to raise the tank recently to top up the coolant in the reservoir, so it could have strained something. The tank was filled on Monday. It's strange that it would wait a couple of days but then it may just have been working itself free and I could have been exposing her to a few more potholes of late. The roads around Dundee are pretty grim right now and they will get worse the closer we get to truly cold weather.

I will let you know what I find.

With regards to someone tampering, that is always possible I suppose, but you can't get to this area without taking the sides off so it is unlikely that someone would have taken that risk. Far easier to just poke a screwdriver through the rad or oil cooler if you want to be that way inclined.

Offline Descolada

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 10:39:29 »
So in advance of stripping the panels off I have been doing some research on replacement parts (just in case a fuel line has split. Suzuki authorised dealer quotes 42.00ukp for a replacement fuel line hose. Does it HAVE to be that authentic replacement part - I know it is molded into the required shape and has those 'non drip' connectors. In a push wouldn't a standard length of fuel pipe and clips suffice or will it get kinked (thus the need for a 'molded' part)?

I know, I am being a cheapskate, but that seems a little excessive for a rubber pipe and some fancy clips.

Offline Andy M

• Bike: Hurley-Pugh Empire Wildebeeste Manx Thruxton
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 10:48:17 »
You'd need pipe and clips rated for a fuel injection set up. Stuff meant for old brit bikes will work for so long then the pressure gets it. Car stuff off the reel can be thicker wall, Suzuki have gone moulded to make the fit easier, so this might be a PITA to get in. FI fittings tend to be crimped which needs a tool. Jubilee clips only work when fitted onto long enough inserts/Christmas tree fittings.

If you can get FI rated on without buying anything fancy though go for it, at the end of the day it's only a given spec of NBR hose.

Andy

Offline Descolada

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 11:46:59 »
Yeah, I guess I know I should just get the Suzuki part and get on with it (if that is what has happened - don't know for sure yet). I just balk at the idea of what it will have cost them to make and the profit they will make out of it.

Offline Descolada

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 17:08:10 »
Here's an update:

Stripped the panels off and before I had even removed them I could see the problem. The main fuel line was loose and hanging very close to the end of the tank inlet.

Sorry about the quality of the photo, I was focused on checking out that connection.

So the connector on the pipe as well as the part that sits behind the ridge on the tank inlet are fine, there are no signs of cracks or breaks. Problem is that once connected back up properly I can take hold of the pipe and, without much force at all, full the pipe off again, the clip part just pops out of it's socket and away it comes.

With the pipe connected the bike primes and starts without any problems, there is no low idle and all is well.

The question then is this. If it takes very little pressure to remove this clip, what's to stop it just working its way off again. Are they supposed to have a little give in them as some kind of safety feature (in case the vent pipe get's blocked and to stop the tank going bang?

What is the consensus here please. I could add something to stop the clip coming loose, careful use of a cable tie would probably suffice, but would that then make it dangerous?

The bike is in bits for now so any speedy replies (before the light goes) would be greatly appreciated.

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 17:14:43 »
My two thoughts, replace it then no need to worry, or cable tie it as it'll be safer than petrol pouring onto a hot engine. I'd do the former.

Offline frez

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2013, 17:23:55 »
It shouldn't come off without a good tug. Maybe the clip has stretched. The hose from the fuel tank will not be high pressure, so if you can work out the internal and external diameter, getting a length of fuel hose should not be an issue.
Now on a Super Tenere having put 64k miles on a 2011 DL650

Offline Descolada

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2013, 19:06:18 »
I picked up some fuel hose on the way home just in case, but this hose is molded, I assume, because it will tend to kink as it wraps round and makes the connection at the engine?

I have for now created a cable tie tensioner around the plastic connector at the pipe and the metal inlet to the tank. I have added small cable ties on each end to stop the main cable tie from slipping out of place. This will give me to time to make a decision, however, Cupar Suzuki tell me it will be two days at least if I order the part from them. At least I can be back on the road in the meantime with some assurance that the connector won't some loose again.

Offline greywolf

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2013, 19:07:32 »
You have the grey plastic piece in the wrong place. The cutouts at the end should straddle the raised ring around the steel tube, not be behind it. With the grey piece properly positioned, it's wings will snap into the black connector, holding it in place. You will hear a snap when the connector is seated. Then the back protruding fins of the grey piece will have to be squeezed together to release the black piece.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2013, 20:30:38 »
:text-goodpost:

Offline Descolada

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2013, 20:55:41 »
Thanks for that Greywolf. This picture was of how I found the connector once the tank was raised and highlights how the pipe had come away from the retaining grey ring and come off the talk inlet pipe.

When put back together is sits just as you described it.  :thumb:

Offline putbinoot

• Bike: WEE, KLX250, GasGas 250, GasGas 125
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2013, 23:56:57 »
My only though is that there might be damage to the black part at the rear so they grey part is not getting held securely when clipped in. Can you say for sure that both lugs on the black part are undamaged.

Offline Descolada

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2013, 08:35:51 »
I can confirm that the black connector is undamaged and there are no signs of cracks. As I say, it all went back together just as greywolf described and I rode in this morning without any problems. There is no leak around the seal and the clips is still securely in place.

Offline mjc506

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2013, 08:41:17 »
hmm keep an eye on it though.

Perhaps it didn't click back together properly last time it was touched?
Projects:
DL650 engine rebuild: Complete!
Brighter rear indicators]Complete![/url]
Heated mirrors]Complete![/url]
Cruise control/Speed limiter/V-puter]Pending...[/color]

Offline Descolada

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2013, 08:57:54 »
Quote from: "mjc506"
hmm keep an eye on it though.

Perhaps it didn't click back together properly last time it was touched?

That's the route I am taking for now. It was, after all my first time taking the tank off (it was a large service). It's possible that I screwed up and didn't reseat it properly, but if that's the case it certainly isn't a mistake I am going to make again any time soon. The service was completed two months ago so it's spent all this time working loose. A scary thought.