Author Topic: anybody have experience of lights malfunctioning?  (Read 1093 times)

Offline Ming the Merciless

anybody have experience of lights malfunctioning?
« on: August 12, 2013, 13:45:34 »
Hi I have an 02 Vstrom DL1000 have owned it for around 2 months now and am genuinely delighted with it. I have recently experienced a problem with the lights on dipped beam and wondered if anybody knew of any litttle foibles on these early Stroms?

I have main beam but no dipped? I became aware of it after parking up one day and putting the steeering lock on, when I returned and set off the dipped lights were not working?

I have checked fuses, replaced bulbs, which I now know are OK! I have visually checked all the wiring that I can see so if there is no simple advice or anyuthing I have overlooked does anybody know a good auto electrician in south london that works on bikes?

Any help would be really appreciated

Many thanks

Chris aka Ming

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
Re: anybody have experience of lights malfunctioning?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 15:12:24 »
Hi Chris, you might find this, from the VSRI forum useful: http://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php/topic,16630.0.html

Might be a block (like in the link) or even the switchgear...
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 15:21:35 »
Had to get the tank and airbox off recently to get to the connectors behind the rad are there was as it turns out to be a corroded connector block for the main lights. I have a DL650 but I'd check the switchgear before removing tank and air box, but your connectors may not be there on a 1000.

Ride Coordinator

Offline greywolf

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 16:12:50 »
An overheated connector leading to loss of power is an all too common problem in older bikes. The contacts and connectors are too small. Look for brown discoloration on the connectors behind the radiator top and in the left cowling of the fairing. The dimmer switch contacts run a distant second as a possible problem. Adding headlight relays takes the load off the stock wiring and also gives a brighter light as full power goes to the headlights instead of some going into destroying the connection.  http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Bike_ ... tml#h4dual is available as a complete kit if you don't want to wire your own.

The usual weakest link in 2005 and later models of both sizes is the headlight cutout switch in the starter button but that cuts out both beams and yours is an earlier model that does not have that switch.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s