Author Topic: Rear Subframe Removal  (Read 1089 times)

Offline krisv

• Bike: DL650 K5
Rear Subframe Removal
« on: August 02, 2013, 12:00:29 »
Hi All,

I've noticed a couple of patches of rust on the rear subframe and decided that I will remove it from the bike and get it repainted. I would like to know how easy/difficult it is & if anybody has done that before.

I know that I have to remove the following

Side Plastic Panels
Top Box Rack
Seat Under Tray
Rear Mudguard and Lights
Seat locking mechanism
Battery

My Questions /Concerns are about

How complex is it to remove the wiring harness and re-install it back?
How do I support the exhaust when I remove the subframe?

Please let me know if I have forgotten anything... And if anybody has done it, how long would it take to take it apart and put it back? (Not counting the countless cups of tea ofcourse ;-))

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
Re: Rear Subframe Removal
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 13:09:50 »
The removal is straight forward, just take everything off that's in the way, there's nothing that can really cause a problem or that's very difficult. You'll have to take off the rear shock preload adjuster too, but that would be obvious when you get to that point. The wiring loom is minimal at the rear of the bike, just there for the tail & stop light, the indicators and the number plate light. There is a connector that unplugs when you take the rear lights off, then it's easy to get the loom out of the way to get the subframe off.

Edit: the exhaust should be fine unsupported since you're not going to be riding the bike.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline krisv

• Bike: DL650 K5
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 15:32:07 »
Cheers Juv,

I will try to give it a go in the next few weeks... Will try to get some pics of removing and refitting the subframe and all the related bits..

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 20:22:37 »
Have a look in my restoration thread, there are some pics in the album that might help. Take pics yourself as you go along, they will help a lot when you put it back together and you can't remember.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog