Author Topic: Replacing the Factory Heated Grips  (Read 1464 times)

Offline Descolada

Replacing the Factory Heated Grips
« on: August 14, 2013, 14:58:01 »
I know that there have been other threads here dealing with members preferred heated grips. I was wondering if anyone had chosen to 'upgrade' the factory fitted heated grips with a different make? How did that work out, were your upgrades as good (or better) than the originals?

How was the process of replacement from an electrics standpoint. Did you have to do much cutting and connector work?

I ask because I am not too impressed with the factory fitted grips on my wee and it seems to have been very much based around covering everything with reams of electrical tape. I would consider changing these out but would like to get others experience first.

Des

Offline iansoady

Re: Replacing the Factory Heated Grips
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 15:24:41 »
May I just warn you that the twistgrip is very brittle and easy to damage when taking that side off!
Ian.
2005 DL650
1931 Sunbeam Model 10

Offline willbo

• crazy is contagious
  • Bike: 2010 dl650x
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 15:25:02 »
I replaced my grips as I was also very unimpressed with them. I now have Oxford hotgrips installed and they work much better let me tell you. to keep the power coming from the heated grips supply on my wee (which is found on the left side, just above the radiator) I bought an eastern beaver heated grip adaptor. you don't need to remove the air box to get at the plug, but this is a great pic showing where it is.
to keep the power coming from the heated grips supply on my wee (which is found on the left side, just above the radiator) I bought an eastern beaver heated grip adaptor.http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Bike_Specific/VStrom/vstrom.html
well worth the money and no hassle trying to find your own supply. I just wired in my headed grips controller for the hotgrips directly into this and works a treat

http://stromtrooper.wikispaces.com/Heated+Grips
I'm sane, honestly. . . I got a certificate to prove it!

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 15:27:09 »
Get some normal grips and heated gloves. I don't know why everyone goes with grips, I've tried both, gloves are far superior, only cost a little more (I use Exo2) are completely waterproof (the only truly waterproof gloves I own) and you can easily take them with you to your next (or swap between multiple bikes) bike because they're just wired up to the battery, not fitted to the bike.

They heat the outside of your hand, the part that gets the blast, not the palm. I've ridden through blizzards over The Cairngorms in February wearing them and my hands were fine.

Go for gloves, bin the grips.

Offline willbo

• crazy is contagious
  • Bike: 2010 dl650x
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 15:34:14 »
Quote from: "Jacko"

nice gloves, but checking online they cost about £130 give or take . I bought my grips for £40 off ebay and have never failed me
I'm sane, honestly. . . I got a certificate to prove it!

Offline Descolada

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 15:38:23 »
Thanks for the pointer re: Exo2. I will take a look. Problem for me is that I have yet to find a pair of motorcycle gloves I really like. Been through many pairs now and they all manage to hack me off in one way or t'other. I'd hate to compound that by knowing I had paid a bucket load for them.

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 16:00:43 »
Quote from: "willbo"

nice gloves, but checking online they cost about £130 give or take . I bought my grips for £40 off ebay and have never failed me

Mine were £99 in an M&P sale. I have two bikes, so that would be 2 pairs of grips, at £40 a time. Plus the old GSXF which would have had another set of grips, so I'm on £120 worth of grips already, taken care of by the same £99 gloves. :)

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 23:23:22 »
I don't know why everyone goes with grips...

Because if sh*t happens, as it does, and your gloves get wet (for whatever reason), you can't just put on your spare pair and still have warm hands.

On the other hand (see what I did there?) if you change bikes frequently having gloves that can move between bikes is probably a benefit.

To answer the OPs question, my original grips eventually died on me. I replaced them with R&G heated grips and sung their praises for some time. That was until the grips wore out and they are now pretty much smooth. I've decided to get some Daytona heated grips, the version with the single push button controller that has 4 settings (instead of the more common one that has a dial type 3 position controller that does Low/High/Off.) Linky to the auction on my watch list, they are pricey, but I just do some overtime and they are paid for. I hope it's a case of "you get what you paid for" with these.

I prefer to wire my grips via my fuse box, it has thicker wires than the stock wiring loom heated grip connection and is also switched. Thicker wires = less voltage drop = hotter grips.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline Abercol

• Bike: 2016 Explorer XRT
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 10:13:25 »
I used Oxford hot Grips, they've been excellent and warm, so hot I've never used the 100% setting of the 4, usually sitting on 25-50% gives plenty of heat. Easy to fit too.