Author Topic: HELP - bar raiser fitting problem  (Read 709 times)

Offline temporaryescapee

HELP - bar raiser fitting problem
« on: July 29, 2013, 20:46:31 »
I am part way through fitting some SW Motech bar raisers and have hit a snag.

I have fitted the bottom plates (I.e. the raiser bit) and was torquing the last bolt when the bottom half of the original bar clamp onto which the raisers are bolted rotated.  This appears to be held in place by a bolt under the steering yoke which I cannot get to with the tools that I have (socket set and ring/open spanners).  Any tips on how I get it back?

I appreciate that, next to the multiple and impressive rebuild stories in play at the moment this clearly places me in the ham fisted muppet bracket, but this is indeed my place.  Bike currently on drive without bars pending response :bawl:

Cheers
Andy

Offline pauljobr

• Bike: DL650 X L0
Re: HELP - bar raiser fitting problem
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 22:03:41 »
Andy
Do you have your strom tool kit tha comes with the bike, in my kit there is an Allen key that fits the hex heads so you can tighten them reasonably well. Then with some deft work using a pipe on the short piece of the Allen you can add more torque for tightening.

Offline temporaryescapee

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 22:48:45 »
Thanks Paul, I appreciate the reply  :thumb:  I do have the original tool kit.  I was OK with the hex bolts on the top, but couldn't meaningfully get to the bolt under the top yoke.  I looked at the Suzuki service manual and this seems to imply you have to take to top yoke off altogether to be able to tighten the nuts underneath.

In the end I fitted the bar clamps and then used a breaker bar in the misaligned clamp to rotate it back into place.  The meant I could get the bars back on but I suspect the nut will need tightening.  The bike is due an MOT in a couple of weeks so I may just ask the bike shop to do it if there is not a straightforward way of doing it.

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 22:55:36 »
It should have a rubber on the top and the bottom? There is a spacer in the rubbers so that the bolt tightens on the spacer instead of pressing on the rubbers, the force you applied was probably just enough to overcome the rubber's friction and it twisted. I wouldn't worry about it at all, particularly since you had to use a breaker bar to twist it back, if it was loose you'd need a lot less force to twist it back.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline temporaryescapee

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 23:09:56 »
That's reassuring, thanks Juvecu  :thumb:

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 23:23:39 »
Now where did I put that disclaimer... :grin:
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog