Author Topic: Those Blinkin Indicators!  (Read 785 times)

Offline Descolada

Those Blinkin Indicators!
« on: June 21, 2013, 20:53:22 »
I was very interested in the post (elsewhere on the forum) about indicator mods. I understand that there is a mod for adding baking foil to the back on the internal housing to redirect 'lost' indicator light out through the front lense (on my ToDo list) (if you could post me to the mod link it would be much appreciated) and I considered the other suggestion of low profile replacements (maybe later).

But I wanted to have a go at something a little different. Many of you will know that you can get LED replacements for most lights on your bike and I had done this with my previous bike with good results. I also had an idea about cutting a slide slit window on the outer edge of the indicator and fitting a clear window in order to add a little side presence to the indicator (much like car have on the near-side and offside wings).

I started by ordering a couple of these from eBay;

They arrived in due course and are impressive looking beasts. I fitted them and realised that they flash at a faster rate than those of the original. Quite a bit more (imagine a car with a failed indicator and the others flashing faster as a result). I thought about this and wondered if it was just down to having so much additional current available (these draw far less than the original bulbs).

I was also not convinced that they were that much brighter than the originals.

Today I was looking at an alternative when I came across the statement "note: You may need LED Load Resistors when changing from Standard to LED Indicators"

Ka-Ching! The light clicked on.

So I don't know anything about this stuff. The "LED Load Resisters" apparently look like this;

I am therefore looking for a little guidance from the more 'sparky' inclined members. I assume that I place one of these in-line between the new indicator circuitry and the indicator feed, thus reducing the flash rate?

Des

Offline greywolf

Re: Those Blinkin Indicators!
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 21:39:24 »
I would rather replace the stock blinker relay with an LED friendly one. Ones on Ebay more commonly advertised as SV650 flasher relays fit perfectly. Those resistors get hot.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline Jeff999

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 21:53:39 »

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 00:37:20 »
+1 for rather using a LED compatible indicator relay.

I have this one on my eBay watch list, but haven't used it myself.

If you want LED indicators that bend around, these ones might be the answer (another one from my eBay watch list! :) )
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline ziggy

• Bike: DL1000 L4, Vespa 300 GTV
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 07:53:34 »
The way forward is the relay, but if you go down the resistance route you connect them across the feed to the indicator not inline (not in series). This is to create more load in the circuit to keep your original relay happy.
Do it today as there may not be a tomorrow.

Live in Rothley, Leicestershire.

Offline frez

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 08:29:36 »
I did a test myself a couple of years ago, see this link viewtopic.php?f=52&t=10235

Bottom line was they are not bright enough.
Now on a Super Tenere having put 64k miles on a 2011 DL650

Offline Jacksnipe

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 08:54:50 »
Descolda, I used mirror finish tape for the job, gives a better reflective surafce than kitchen foil. They are loads brighter for a bit of effort.

WM

Offline mjc506

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 09:05:28 »
I swapped my front indicators for some el-cheapo hein gerick 'flush' ones, and on the back I replaced the bulbs with MR16 12v bulbs. Same wattage (so same flash rate on the stock relay) but silly bright :)

Fronts

Front at night

Rears
Projects:
DL650 engine rebuild: Complete!
Brighter rear indicators]Complete![/url]
Heated mirrors]Complete![/url]
Cruise control/Speed limiter/V-puter]Pending...[/color]

Offline Descolada

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2013, 09:45:06 »
Hello, I like the brightness of the rear indicators mjc506!

Offline Descolada

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2013, 09:46:15 »
Quote from: "frez"
I did a test myself a couple of years ago.

Thanks frez, I hadn't seen this and it's very useful information.

Des.

Offline Descolada

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2013, 10:12:13 »
So it's obvious that the LED replacement isn't going to do what I want, but thanks for the feedback - it's been invaluable. I think I will go down the route of changing the oem indicators for lower profile LED units, but am ashamed to admit that I am a bit picky and am not so taken with the flush fitting versions I have seen so far.  :shy:

I think I am also going to add a couple of indicator strips to increase side visibility these are an example.

The suggestion of an LED indicator relay was a real gem of advice.

Thanks folks.

Des

Offline mjc506

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2013, 10:41:27 »
Quote from: "Descolada"
Hello, I like the brightness of the rear indicators mjc506!
They are ''sufficiently bright'' now I think :haha:

It's an easy mod too, moreso if you have orange lenses (it's easier to find white bulbs in 12v than it is orange)
Projects:
DL650 engine rebuild: Complete!
Brighter rear indicators]Complete![/url]
Heated mirrors]Complete![/url]
Cruise control/Speed limiter/V-puter]Pending...[/color]

Offline greywolf

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2013, 15:49:44 »
Those multiple round top LED lamps are not as bright as stock bulbs. There are some high power LEDS that are in the neighbourhood but look entirely different. http://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/tail-brake-turn/ has intensity ratings for example. If choosing LEDs, get them in the colour you want them to show. An orange LED behind an orange lens will be significantly brighter than a white LED in the same place. Unlike incandescents, LEDs do not have a full colour spectrum so white is a poor choice for a coloured lens.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s