Author Topic: Now I've had a test ride...  (Read 915 times)

Offline iansoady

Now I've had a test ride...
« on: June 11, 2013, 14:23:16 »
... although only a short one, I hope I can ask a couple of questions.

First, I must say I was very impressed and the Wee-Strom feels (as I had hoped) rather like a smaller, (much) lighter version of my Tiger although I will miss that triple sound. The V-twin does sound quite good though. Very balanced ride, enough performance for me and generally nice to ride. I feel as though I'm going in the right direction. :)

The bike I tried was a 2011 model with only just over 1,000 miles on it (many thanks to Kidderminster Motorcycle Mart). Anyway, my queries:

1. The throttle seemed very sensitive just off tickover. That may be because there was a fair bit of slack in the cable so finding the exact take-up point was a bit hit and miss. Is this usual, specific to the bike, or something else? If it was the Tiger, of course I could remap it........

2. The clutch seems to bite with the lever very close to the bars (embarrassing me slightly by stalling when I set off!) Again, is this usual? It's not really a problem, just something I may need to get used to. Combined with the throttle sensitivity it made for a rather uneven ride.

Very minor points of course.

I did find my knees were a bit cramped so when I find a bike I'll be looking to fit Buell footrests or similar (as I have on the Tiger) and maybe raising the seat slightly.
Ian.
2005 DL650
1931 Sunbeam Model 10

Offline greywolf

Re: Now I've had a test ride...
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 14:37:55 »
Throttle sensitivity just off idle may be mainly affected by three things. The throttle position sensor adjustment, the throttle body synchronization and the throttle cable adjustment. The last of these only really comes into play if the rider turns the throttle all the way off. The best way to handle the bike is to keep the revs up and feather the clutch until there is enough speed to have the clutch lever all the way out at 2500-3000rpm.

The clutch is cable operated so the rider can set the friction point over a wide range as long as there is some play in the cable when the lever is all the way out and the clutch is completely disengaged when the lever is all the way in.

There is a very good footpeg lowering kit available if you aren't a peg dragger as well as taller seats.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline willbo

• crazy is contagious
  • Bike: 2010 dl650x
Re: Now I've had a test ride...
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 15:24:20 »
I find my throttle has a very slight point of play right at the start where I can turn it slightly and nothing happens, but I prefer that to a really sensitive one which at the slightest flick gives a full on kick up my proverbial. the clutch cable is sweet and I have no issues.

I recently got hold of a vee seat so I intend to switch that with my wee seat,to increase leg space and comfort. first though I will mod it with a gel pad. Unfortunately after my recent tonsillectomy and the setback of being rushed to A&E when my wounds decided to open and pour a pint and a half of blood out everywhere, I havn't had time or energy to try it
I'm sane, honestly. . . I got a certificate to prove it!