Author Topic: rear brake lever sticking on  (Read 1731 times)

Offline jonH

• Bike: R1200GS LC
rear brake lever sticking on
« on: January 04, 2011, 09:51:01 »
Not sure if it's the same issue as this post or not but my rear brake lever has started sticking on, which is a bit of a PITA

The brakes have had regular squirts of wurth brake & chain cleaner and am assuming as I run the bike in just about all conditions bar sheet ice that it just wants a spot of lube on the lever

there isn't tons of information in the downloadable service manual about the lever assembly - is it easy to grease up? I tried blasting it with some ACF50 yesterday but it's done sod all to the action
There is nothing in life that cannot be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas

Offline Iggy

Re: rear brake lever sticking on
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 13:47:36 »
Its an easy enough job, just a pain to be forced to do it this time of year when everything is covered in crap.

Idealy you need to remove the footrest hanger via the two dome headed allen bolts then you can get to the pivot which is behind it. Pull it all apart and clean up any corrosion before slapping it back together with plenty of grease on it. The spring can be a bit awkward to replace.

Iggy
Brand loyal ?  Nope - anything will do if its got two wheels and an engine !

Offline 2112

• Bike: Honda 750 Transalp, Victory Crossroads 1731
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 19:18:08 »
Sound advice from Iggy, get it stripped and get it smothered ! It's a bugger to do this time of year if you don't have anywhere cosy though...
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline jonH

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 20:29:03 »
thanks very much gents, am planning to do this in the garage at work tomorrow as I'll at least have some light :)

do I need anything other than the following?
  • allen keys
  • (white) lithium grease
  • acf50+wire wool for crap removal
There is nothing in life that cannot be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas

Offline BigBird

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 08:54:58 »
hi
 there is a 'c' clip to take off, and without the right tool it can be a pain, but it is possible.this happen on mine twice, the first I got away with taking the brake pedal off the bike but not striping and cleaning this lasted 6 months, 2nd time had to strip completely and clean.

Offline jonH

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 09:01:00 »
ah crap I haven't brought a circlip tool and I have both types at home too  :bawl:

thanks BigBird will see what I can do with the stuff I have - riding in the pissing rain with no rear brake is not amusing!

Offline Iggy

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 09:39:13 »
Quote from: "BigBird"
hi
 there is a 'c' clip to take off............

Aye you can probably slide that off with a small screwdriver then you''ll want a pair of pliers to put it back. Pliers would also be handy if you want to disconnect the rod to the rear master cylinder - there's a small split pin on that..... bit of grease on the clevis pin there won't go amiss either.

Iggy
Brand loyal ?  Nope - anything will do if its got two wheels and an engine !

Offline jonH

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 14:29:05 »
just spent about 1h15 on it with a colleague and it's a lot better - definitely was the pivot as I had to unbolt the master cylinder so I could turn the assembly round to start fiddling with it, and it was still ridiculously stiff to move even with the master cylinder hanging off the bike

would have been a lot easier with my circlip tool but hopefully it'll last until my next free weekend at least so I can give it a proper clean, and yes that spring was a cnut to get back into place!

thanks for all the info everyone, was extremely useful  :thumb:

Offline paulsrje

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2013, 12:33:31 »
Still useful after all this time,didn't think of the pivot point until I read this!
All greased up and working properly now.
big thanks
paul :)

Offline greywolf

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2013, 13:04:23 »
Time saver.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline Locky

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 800xc & Yamaha TTR250
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2013, 13:11:38 »
I copied you Greywolf