Author Topic: NUMB BUM SYNDROME,  (Read 1999 times)

Offline pieman53

• Bike: DL1000 K6, DL1000A L9
NUMB BUM SYNDROME,
« on: June 03, 2013, 01:08:30 »
Advice needed on how to stop a numb bum. this is the first time its happened  since I have had the vee and its not very nice, had a look around and it seems there is quite an option on what to do.
is it worth getting re-padded or are these gel seats as good as they say the are ?.
the vee is an 06 plate and yes I am a large bloke at 6ft 4 and 17 stone (to many pies)
any advice on this would be very welcome. :shrug:

Offline TravellingStrom

Re: NUMB BUM SYNDROME,
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 07:12:13 »
Airhawk is your bums friend. The best alternative to reshaping or custom seat builds

Without one I can ride 30 minutes on a stock seat. With one I have done many 1,000km days
Keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out

Cheers
TravellingStrom
http://www.travellingstrom.com
http://www.richardstravelshops.com

Offline Fatbelly

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 08:56:13 »
It's an odd thing. Just like with the buffeting issue it seems to affect some people and not others. I have to say that I have never encountered a buffeting problem and believe it to be a complete myth - similarly I find it very difficult indeed to believe in a phenomenon described as "too many pies". How could this possibly be?  :grin:  :grin:  :lala:  :lala:

Offline stibbs

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 09:23:30 »
I bought one of these some time ago and would definitely recommend it. For the money they are the best remedy, IMHO. http://www.bumbags4bikers.co.uk/3um3ags ... 88757.aspx

:thumb:

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 09:37:33 »
Even one pie can be too many...

The remedies are individual, too. Some people find those bumbags very hard, uncomfortable in themselves :shrug:
I don't have much of a problem except on a longish ride (200 miles +) that can't be sorted by standing up on the pegs and letting the blood flow again...but I use the lambland pad in the dry esp.,
http://www.lambland.co.uk/item/2594/gen ... d-in-black
and when I remember and wear my gel cycling shorts underneath, they work a treat for me!
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline stevee_p

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 11:52:06 »
The previous owner of my vee fitted a corbin seat, and I've done 6+ hours straight without any discomfort on it. I don't think they're cheap but if they mean you can enjoy the riding more (and potentially concentrate more rather than thinking about your arse hurting!) they've got to be worth the cost.
2002 K2 DL1000
Leo Vince, Givi, Corbin, Power Commander
http://www.pbase.com/stevee_p

Offline Abercol

• Bike: 2016 Explorer XRT
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 12:03:22 »
Have to agree, I went from the stock Vee seat at around an hour or 60-70 miles to numb bum/sore arse setting in to all day comfort with my Corbin. Done a few 10hr plus days and the seat is just soooo comfortable.

Offline gbrchill

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 16:44:54 »
On a slightly related note, I rode from the south coast up to the Lake District recently and arrived to find my gentleman's sausage had fallen asleep :shy: ... it didn't wake up until the following morning, quite an odd sensation that was.  Does the panel have any advice?

Offline pieman53

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013, 19:58:23 »
Thanks for all the suggestions on my problem. The corbin seats look nice but they arnt arv pricey.
mite try the lambs wool first for the summer to see how I get on.
I thought I ate some pies but that fella beats me by a mile. :ty:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Offline jimbo8098

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013, 20:05:07 »
Similarly , I don't get this numb bum syndrome either. Maybe the bum pain vs bum size relationship is an exponential one?  

:text-imsorry:

Offline pieman53

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 20:59:23 »
Nice one Jimbo, but unkile my missus my arse is a lot smaller. :grin:  :neen:

Offline willbo

• crazy is contagious
  • Bike: 2010 dl650x
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2013, 22:24:36 »
Quote from: "gbrchill"
On a slightly related note, I rode from the south coast up to the Lake District recently and arrived to find my gentleman's sausage had fallen asleep :shy: ... it didn't wake up until the following morning, quite an odd sensation that was.  Does the panel have any advice?
That sounds terrible. Thoughts of blood clots, perminate damage or even amputation spring to mind. I recommend if it happens again you thotoughly massage the effected member to try bring some sensation or blood circulation back. If that doesn't work try vigorously shaking the effected member and continue massaging.
As a side I will now be prepared for such affliction happening to me by carrying a small amount of lube in my top box. If numbness appears I will apply said lube and attempt to massage poor member back to full health, however vigorous I have to massage it. For pure medicinal purposes I suggest all male forum members do the same. Female members should be OK
I'm sane, honestly. . . I got a certificate to prove it!

Offline alan29

• 200th Member
  • Bike: DL650XT M0
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2013, 09:21:23 »
After 8000 miles my stock seat has broken in. Can sit on it all day long now.

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2013, 10:04:51 »
my seat is lovely now after 40k I found the new glee seat I tested on Sunday like sitting on a stack of bricks!

Ride Coordinator

Offline cabra

• Bike: 1995 Triumph Trident - 1976 Triumph Trident - 2011 Ducati Multistrada 1200s
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2013, 11:40:40 »
Yea, I can understand where people are coming from with this. It is I think, as was suggested earlier an individual thing, like buffeting & possibility even weaver birding. Having just completed approx 1800 pillion + luggage miles, with a couple 400+ stints included, I was fine with all three "anomalies" With regards to the "num bum" I wear a pair of gel padded cycling (lidl specials) shorts but I think the real trick is to move about on the seat as much as possible, not as easy 2 up but it does make all the difference in the blood circulation department.

ProfG

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2013, 11:49:50 »
Quote from: "willbo"
For pure medicinal purposes I sudgest all male forum members do the same. Female members should be OK

For a moment, just coming to the end of the sentence I thought you were going to say 'female members should assist'

lol  lol

Alternatively, get a pillion who could help massage the aforementioned member during the 'ride'  lol

Offline mjc506

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2013, 16:24:04 »
Quote from: "ProfG"
Alternatively, get a pillion who could help massage the aforementioned member during the 'ride'  lol
You'll be surprised how distracting that is when they do that. :auto-dirtbike:
Projects:
DL650 engine rebuild: Complete!
Brighter rear indicators]Complete![/url]
Heated mirrors]Complete![/url]
Cruise control/Speed limiter/V-puter]Pending...[/color]