Author Topic: oil leak  (Read 784 times)

Offline carlos

oil leak
« on: July 21, 2013, 22:42:55 »
Hi chaps.
Two days ago I changed the oil and filter and noticed a small leak right under the filter were it join the engine . funny thing is that sometimes there is nothing ,sometimes there is a small smear of oil ,almost not noticible.
I followed the instructions  to the letter when I instaled this filter. two turns hand/socket wrench tight ...

what should I do now ...?
Do I tight the filter a bit more ?
do I take it  and use a newer filter ?

thanks for the help

Offline Descolada

Re: oil leak
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 23:17:22 »
Is it possible you could have got muck stuck between the new filter and the engine ?

If you have already tightened it to the required torque (2 turns) I would be very reluctant to tighten it any further.

Was this an OEM filter or some other manufacture. Did it come (out of the box) with the cellophane across the rubber seal face?

Did you apply a thin smear of new oil to the seal before tightening it back up?

Des

Offline carlos

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 23:53:17 »
. cleaned the contact surface prety well . smeared  fresh oil over the rubber
  the filter is an OEM came from an original box the celophane  was in place covering the rubber seal  but with a small hole right in the middle .
Suzuki filter come  new on a  plastic blister . the one I used  come in the cardboard box .

I did notice that the previous filter was pretty tight ... checked the thread after removing the previous one   and everything seem to be fine ...

Offline bikemad

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 08:25:08 »
You can unscrew filter to check you will only have a small amount of oil come out I had to do this 3 times cos mine was overfilled by the bikeshop !  :shock:

Try a smear of silicone if it don't seal ? they should only be hand tight then maybe a slight 1/4 turn tweak with a wrench my van is a pain filter is sat upright I have to put rags around it otherwise it causes a mess.
Stuff everything I've always got me bike ;)

Offline ziggy

• Bike: DL1000 L4, Vespa 300 GTV
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 08:36:49 »
Quote from: "bikemad"
You can unscrew filter to check you will only have a small amount of oil come out I had to do this 3 times cos mine was overfilled by the bikeshop !  :shock:

Try a smear of silicone if it don't seal ? they should only be hand tight then maybe a slight 1/4 turn tweak with a wrench my van is a pain filter is sat upright I have to put rags around it otherwise it causes a mess.

If you check your manual it tells you two full turns from contact of the gasket. I know this seems excessive especially if your used to changing them on a car where its usually 3/4 of a turn from contact or as tight as you can do it with hands.

:)
Do it today as there may not be a tomorrow.

Live in Rothley, Leicestershire.

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 11:13:11 »
I never do the full 2 turns, it always feels too tight. If it's over tightened you can distort the seal enough to cause a leak. Try loosening it a bit, just until you see oil coming out, then tighten it up by hand, but not 2 turns, 1 to 1.5 should be fine. If you can feel that it's on well enough and that it won't turn out by itself then there's no need to try to get it to 2 turns. It's not a like a bolt where you have to turn it until you feel a lot of resistance, it's more like a tap that you close until there's no more water coming out (if that makes sense?)
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline carlos

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 13:03:29 »
Thanks chaps, will try to unscrew it a bit this afternoon and see what happens ...

Offline greywolf

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 15:41:28 »
The Suzuki brand filter has a large circular cross section, soft O-ring and two turns after contact really is best to properly flatten it. Any aftermarket filter I know of has a more traditional O-ring and hand tight or 3/4-1 turn is typical.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline carlos

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 16:34:41 »
Quote from: "Juvecu"
I never do the full 2 turns, it always feels too tight. If it's over tightened you can distort the seal enough to cause a leak. Try loosening it a bit, just until you see oil coming out, then tighten it up by hand, but not 2 turns, 1 to 1.5 should be fine. If you can feel that it's on well enough and that it won't turn out by itself then there's no need to try to get it to 2 turns. It's not a like a bolt where you have to turn it until you feel a lot of resistance, it's more like a tap that you close until there's no more water coming out (if that makes sense?)

Followed this advice.  But  when  tight the filter it  stoped  at 1 and  1/4 turn hand tight  and is not going anywere .
   Bike din't leak on tick over ... went for a ride  cameback and cheked  using a piece of tissue paper, not a leak per se , more like a  thin line of smear oil and some  black ( I asume  is the oring material )  along the joint of the filter and the engine .The amount of oil don't see to be that much  lower than before,  even after I left some oil escape  when loosening the filter. I may have overfilled  during the change ?

will try to get it to 1 and 1/2 turn  and check again ...  if these don't  stop . will replace the  filter ... and see if the O-Ring  was damaged  or what.  

Will let you blokes now tomorow

Offline greywolf

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 17:19:37 »
Again, for a genuine Suzuki filter, a proper installation tool and two turns after contact is specified. That O-ring needs to be properly flattened for best results. It is different from any other filter O-ring I've seen. Experiencing less than a perfect seal when only using a little more than half the properly specified amount without at least trying to see if the specified amount solves the problem makes no sense to me.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2013, 20:08:21 »
Just nip it up a bit more with your hand. Check again.