Author Topic: front brake pad mounting pin  (Read 792 times)

Offline Stromtrooper james

• Bike: DL650 2011 70K+miles DL1000 2017 12k miles
front brake pad mounting pin
« on: May 03, 2013, 20:03:01 »
just got some new front brake pad and I'm struggling to remove the mounting pin that holds the old brake pads in place I've removed the safety clip that holds the pin in but it seams to be total stuck.

anyone had the same problem if show how's best to fix it.

any advise will be greatly appreciated

:bawl:  :bawl:  :bawl:

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
Re: front brake pad mounting pin
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 20:17:05 »
had the same issue

no way was the thing coming out so I drilled through the closed end of the caliper body and spent a bit of time smacking the 'inner' end of the pin with an old allen key and a hammer.

the bugger came out after a while. I sanded the thing smooth again, filed away any corrosion in the caliper recess (now hole going straight through) applied copious amounts of copper grease on re assembly and a dab of everyday grease in the hole I drilled to keep the crud out.

careful if you decide to drill the caliper, it's quite soft Aluminum and they are around £300 a caliper new and £100ish second hand if it all goes wrong. the pins on the other hand are around £5 for the pair from any Suzuki dealer, but will most likely be ordered as needed.

Ride Coordinator

Offline Little_Chris

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 00:31:51 »
The only way I managed it was to remove the caliper and then slide the pads apart which gave me just enough space to clamp a set of mole grips onto the pins spindle. I then did the famous 'wiggle up a bit, down a bit' thing with a fair bit of wd40. Finally I got my mate to hold the caliper whilst I tapped the jaws of the mole grips with a hammer to ease it out.
Shanks' Pony > Second Hand Brown BMX > Eddie Merckx racer > 556 Bus > Yamaha RXS100 > Honda CB250 Super Dream Deluxe > Yamaha RD350 YPVS > Kawasaki GT750 > 1300cc Custom Trike > Suzuki DL650 Glee

Offline Strommer

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 08:13:24 »
I did one set with copper grease and one set with red rubber grease last year.  Red rubber won hands down on the corrosion front, though it does attract more dirt.

A disgrace to biking...

Offline B4ndit

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 09:04:57 »
Had the same problem recently. Ended up drilling it out in the end.
2011 BMW 1200 GSA
2005 Kawasaki KLV 1000

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 12:01:22 »
You can buy better quality replacement stainless steel brake pins. I can't remember exactly where from, a forum search might show a few places. Pro-Bolt comes to mind though, but not 100% sure they would have it. V-Strom brake callipers are shared with a multitude of other bikes, even other manufacturers, so it should be relatively easy to find if know what you're looking for.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline ringo grumio nibbler

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2013, 15:59:42 »
This drove me mad too a few weeks ago. Thanks to advice on here I got it out by drilling a small hole in the blank part of the caliper and punched it out. What a chew on though.

Offline Yoyo

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2013, 21:24:27 »
I had the same issue with the rear caliper on my Bandit and had to drill it out, one-nerving but it was OK. I bought plain stainless pins from eGay that were OK. I didn't realise my Vee ones were the same, I think I'll get the pin out (if I can) and I'll drill the hole from the front so there's no chance of getting it wrong  :)

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2013, 21:34:23 »
caliper's on the Vee is are the same as the Wee

rear pin has a screw cap, then under that the pin is screwed into the caliper- don't try and smack it out.

the fronts are plain pins with a split pin to secure-

Ride Coordinator