Author Topic: High oil usage after 1st service  (Read 1844 times)

Offline jimbo8098

Re: High oil usage after 1st service
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2013, 13:28:12 »
I have a new Strom which passed it's first service and it's not used any oil either. Giving the bike a bit of welly on the first thousand miles is a bad idea though , you might have burst a seal on the bike. Since it is inside warranty , take it back but might be best to miss out the part about giving it welly , it will probably be unrelated but they might just refuse to check it if you tell them that.

Offline s-d

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2013, 13:39:20 »
Well, I followed the break-in procedure. I asked the dealer during the service how careful I should be going forward and they told me that these engines are bulletproof and like to be thrashed (unlike Honda apparently) so who knows.

Offline Andy M

• Bike: Hurley-Pugh Empire Wildebeeste Manx Thruxton
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2013, 19:36:50 »
Quote from: "s-d"
Either, as has been suggested, the dealer didn't fill it up properly after the 1st service, ...

?

From the bottom of the glass to the middle is something like 200 ml. If one dealer fills every one to the bottom and another dealer fills them all to the middle, the first lot get the oil for every 20th service for free. If it was your business would you be tempted? Could you set aside a certain gain now for possible repeat business so long as your customers don't get bored and buy a BMW or a Ducati regardless of service?

Andy

Offline s-d

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2013, 11:12:11 »
hmm, I see what you mean. The moral of the story then is to check oil level before leaving the dealer.

Offline jimbo8098

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2013, 13:59:01 »
The engines are bulletproof but you shouldn't thrash them , not before you've run them in. give it a range of revs but don't constantly rev high or go crazy with speed. Not sure why he told you that to be honest , that's probably the worst possible advice he could give you. Check your owners manual , it says in there how you should ride. I would trust the manuals before the mechanic , hands down!

Offline s-d

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2013, 16:20:35 »
Indeed, I was a little dubious about the advice myself. I certainly haven't thrashed it, but I haven't been afraid to use the full range of revs or held back accelerating ie 'giving it some welly'. I haven't redlined it yet for example. However I have taken it on the motorway at decent cruising speeds, but even then I don't let it sit too long in one gear or rev range, I keep it mixed up. I've checked the level several times now and it hasn't budged so I'm confident it isn't using any oil and looks like the dealer under filled it. Chalk this one up to experience.

Offline jimbo8098

« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2013, 13:20:06 »
OK , so long as it hasn't popped anything should be fine. That sounds OK but the manual says below 6k revs before first then 8k. Th motorway should be OK , it's more the way you are giving it the power that will cause problems.

Offline Jacko

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2013, 19:48:07 »
Glee is 5k then 7.5k. That's what my manual says anyway..