Author Topic: looking for DL1000  (Read 1593 times)

Offline pauljobr

• Bike: DL650 X L0
looking for DL1000
« on: September 12, 2012, 10:41:34 »
Hi, a friend of mine has recently realised he needs to move away from the darkside and being a friendly rider who nods he realises his old BMW must go :grin: , also it has broken down on him again ### .

Having read all the web stuff and reviews on he is looking at a DL1000 and currently is going to look at a 08 plate GT model with 10k on Saturday.

So we were just wondering if there is anything specific he should be looking out for when viewing and testing it.

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
Re: looking for DL1000
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 11:16:27 »
Obvious things at the start are to see if it has any service history with it, when the last one was carried out (due at 7,500 miles and next one at 11,000) and if they were done by a main dealer or recognised shop. Is there any evidence it has been dropped. Has it been well looked after or neglected? Has it got all the paperwork with it and at least two keys for every lock? There should be six keys- two for the bike, two for the top box and two for the side boxes. Consider doing an HPI check on it to check it's history.

The drive chain and rear sprocket really should still be OK at this mileage (and also gives some indication of how well the bike has been looked after). If worn then a new set will cost around the £90 plus fitting. Have a look at the tyres and get an idea of how much wear they've had. A new set will be anything from around £180 upwards depending on your choice.

Have a look at the brakes discs and pads. The pads may well need replacing if it's been ridden hard and the discs shouldn't be too worn or scoured. Pricey if they need replacing.

The GT model should come with heated grips (check if these are working), hand muffs, a carrier and a full set of luggage (top box and two side boxes). Make sure these are all opening and closing OK. I also think it should come with a centre stand as well.

Switch the ignition on and check that the dash comes on OK and there is nothing to indicate any ECU related problems such as an FI symbol. Then check all the lights, flashers etc. The owner should let you take it for a test run to check that everything is OK, clutch, gears, brakes, speedo etc. If he won't let you ride it, get him to take you on the back for at least a 10 mile run. When the bike is warm and ticking over, any irregular engine noise that goes away when you pull the clutch in is normal and not a problem but can be irritating. There is plenty on this forum about this (clutch chudder) Otherwise the engine should be very quiet.

Finally see what accessories have been fitted. The most useful one is a replacement screen and/or mounting bracket (Madstad) to reduce wind buffeting which is a problem on all 'stroms. There are other ways to cure this.  A rear hugger helps keep muck off the rear shock and back end of the bike. If any bits have been removed will they come with the bike?

Best of luck. Really great bikes at sensible money. Bear in mind new ones could be had in 2008/9 for around £5500, so the price shouldn't be too high.

Offline Abercol

• Bike: 2016 Explorer XRT
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 12:19:40 »
At 10,000 it should be pretty pristine, Hookie has outlined all the main points. Like the Wee, check the engine cases/waterpump for corrosion - it means that it was used in winter and not kept ACF50'd or cleaned often enough. THe GT has handguards, heated grips, luuggage (inc top box) & a centre stand as standard.

I had a BMW prior to the Vee GT, I wanted a similar riding position, same or more performance and, of course, no more blody breakdowns. I tested a load of bikes and came away with a shortlist of two....a Vee and a CB1300. I preferred the performance of the CB, but the riding position and the overall adaptability of the Vee won me over. He should enjoy the experience, although he may miss the shaft drive a little.

Offline LaKraven

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 12:53:01 »
As well as everything the others have said above, he should obviously take a decent test ride on the bike.
I test rode a DL1000 with around 12k miles on the clock from Orwell Motorcycles (near you in Ipswich, you no doubt already know) and after about 40 minutes of riding it started spewing coolant out of the radiator. Clearly there was a split there which had opened up when the radiator started getting hotter!

If the bike he's going to see doens't have the skid plate or a radiator guard (or even a "mudguard extender") he should check the radiator thouroughly for any signs of damage from debris impact as this is quite common on "unprotected" Stroms!

Check all the easy and obvious: put the bike up on its centre stand and make sure it stands up properly. Some people don't know how to properly place the bike on its centre stand and repeatedly doing it wrong can (not always, but can) cause the bike to lean to the left or right when on the centre stand. Easy thing to check!

While the bike is still on its centre stand, eye the rear wheel alignment just to make sure it's good (takes a few seconds and with the DL is very easy to notice visually if the wheel alignment is bad).
Rotate the rear wheel and check for tooth wear on the rear sprocket. If he's willing to take off the front sprocket cover, he can check that for worn teeth too!

Obviously look at the general condition of the bike. At 10k miles it should be in fairly good nic (depending on whether or not it has been ridden during winter like mine has). The chain should be clean and have no dead links (checking for dead links is as easy as rotating the chain and lifting the slack from the underside of the chain. If you release it and it falls back neatly in line, then it's good. If it sticks or takes a moment to form back in line, then the chain is worn more than it should be at 10k miles!)

Do the standard checks (indicators, lights, brake lights). Test the front and rear brakes respectively. Test the horn (why not, eh?)
If it has engine bars and skid plate attached, make sure they don't "wobble" by grabbing them and giving them a gentle shake. Same with the side pannier rails.

Check the colour of the oil in the sight glass. At 10k miles it should still be fairly clear rather than tar black, assuming it has been serviced according to the schedule. It's a minor issue, of course, as an oil change is a 10 minute job and replacement oil filters are cheap enough.

Listen to the engine idling without a helmet on. If it's "sputtering" at all, this could indicate many things, one of which would be the need to replace the air filter. Again, that's a servicing issue.

You'll want to see a service history, of course.

Take a tyre pressure gauge with you and check the pressures. Also check the Tyres themselves for adequate tread and any bald spots.

Check the radiator casing (right-hand side of the bike's engine at the front, with the big water pipe running into it) to see if there are any paint chips/flecks peeling. This shouldn't be a deal breaker, but you'll want to either keep it covered with ACF50 or touch it up with Hammerite to prevent rusting on that cover!
Should point out that by 7,500 miles my DL650's water tank cover thingie was losing paint, but I'm now at 15k miles and there has been no further corrosion thanks to things like ACF50 and Scottoiler FS365.

I'd expect there to be some missing paint on the rear end of the swingarm. No matter how much TLC I gave my DL650, it still lost paint there (even before I rode through winter). Of course it's really easy to spray some black Hammerite on the bald spots to keep the problem from spreading futher!

I'd ask if the butterflies have been removed from the STVA, as this would make the take-offs much quicker (thus, if you aren't prepared, a little dangerous). If the seller doesn't know what the butterflies or STVA are, I'd say it's a safe bet that they haven't been removed!
Since you're a Strommer already, I assume you'll be going with him to check it out. You could always take a short test ride to compare it with the way your bike feels.

Check the front forks right at the top to see if they've been lowered at all (it'll be obvious, especially if you compare with your bike).

Check the top of the fork's inner tubes to look for rusting and/or fork oil lines which would indicate damaged/leaky fork seals. Again, it's not uncommon for the tops of the fork's inner tubes to get some rust on them, but generally this will only occur above the top point of travel (basically where the inner tubes never enter the outer tubes, thus are always exposed to air). Not a deal-breaker, but something to keep your eye on and possibly have sorted by a dealership or competant mechanic.

Check as much of the frame over as you can looking for any cracks in welds or other signs that the bike has previously been involved in an impact and subsequently "repaired". I say that because it's not that difficult for someone to replace the plastics and cowelings after a crash, and ignore any REAL damage on the frame itself. Obviously just eyeing it with all its clothes on won't be a sure-fire way of telling if it's had an accident, but if there are obvious cracks in welds etc. that you CAN see, odds are there's a lot worse you CAN'T see!

Check the rear ABS sensor cap (if the bike has ABS) to see if it has detached from its mount, or if the mount itself has a crack in it. It's certainly not a deal-breaker, but keep in mind that a replacement rear ABS sensor and cable is ~£150 from Suzuki, so if it is cracked/damage I'd try to reflect that in the offering price!

Check the front and rear brake fluid resovoires for discolouration of the brake fluid (and of course for good fluid levels). Certainly not a deal-breaker, but something you'll want to take care of ASAP. Same goes with the brake pads on the front and rear calipers. You should be able to visibly see some meat on the pads by looking at the point where the calipers surround the discs. If there's little-to-no meat on the pads, you'll want to replace them and I'd say reflect that in the price by knocking off £50 (if it's all pads), or £25 if it's just the rear!

Check the rear brake lever for "sticking" when pressed (or delayed return). This shows poor maintenance, but can be easily resolved by heavily lubricating the rear brake assemblies. Note that a squirt of WD40 isn't going to get it done! You'll need to use something heavier like GT85 or even FS365/ACF50 if it's really bad!
Similarly, check the front brake and clutch action to look for sticking or unusual return behaviours.

Test every key position in the ignition barrel to ensure that the key doesn't stick, and that the bike behaves properly. Borked ignition barrels are (it seems) fairly common on the Stroms, but I personally haven't had any issues. There again, I do spray the inside of my ignition barrel with WD40 every time I clean the bike!

Engage the side stand and slowly release it. It should readily spring back up quite quickly. If it sticks, this indiciates poor maintenance, and you'll need to adequately clean and lubricate the side stand mechanisms. I'd suggest in that case you clean and lubricate ALL lubrication points, especially the gear lever mechanisms right up to the clutch assembly under the front sprocket housing (which you'll likely also need to clean out thouroughly).

Why not take a paperclip, lift the saddle and put the bike into "Maintenance Mode" to read off any failure codes. It helps if you have a list of failure codes to reference so you can see what these mean (they're all listed and explained in the Service Manual). Ideally there should be absolutely no failure codes (00 should display).

Anyway, that's everything I can think of "off the top of my head". It's quite a list but, aside from the test ride itself, should only take about 15 minutes to get through at the most.
Hope it's not a lemon and he enjoys it  :old:

P.S.
If he's also in Ipwsich, I'd be happy to go along for the viewing and perform these checks myself if that's useful to him at all?
Black DL650AK9 GT, 09 reg: 1" lower front and rear, USB charging and lighter sockets, Madstad bracket, Slipscreen and large Givi screens (for purpose), Aux Light Bar, fog lights (switched), custom ignition-switched wiring loom

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 12:59:58 »
There is no way I'm reading all that, LaKraven  :neen:
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline LaKraven

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 13:03:34 »
Quote from: "Juvecu"
There is no way I'm reading all that, LaKraven  :neen:

Unless you know absolutely everything to look for already, then not reading all that could equate to buying a lemon, but that's entirely up to you  :GRR:  :neen:
Black DL650AK9 GT, 09 reg: 1" lower front and rear, USB charging and lighter sockets, Madstad bracket, Slipscreen and large Givi screens (for purpose), Aux Light Bar, fog lights (switched), custom ignition-switched wiring loom

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 13:17:14 »
The 1000 was never fitted with ABS, not in the UK anyway, So don't be worried if you can't find it!

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 13:26:47 »
I'm not the one buying a bike, the OP would probably read it all :)
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline pauljobr

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 13:28:00 »
Whoa, it will take us to the weekend to digest that.

Excellent thank you Hookie and LaKraven :thumb: .

I also got my bike from Orwells, and have known them for a while so I trust what I buy from them.

Offline LaKraven

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 13:31:02 »
Quote from: "pauljobr"
Whoa, it will take us to the weekend to digest that.

Excellent thank you Hookie and LaKraven :thumb: .

I also got my bike from Orwells, and have known them for a while so I trust what I buy from them.

Well as I say, I'm happy to come along if you think it'll be useful. It's an excuse for me to test-ride the bike once I've finished doing this major service on it, and always nice to meet fellow Strommers!

Hookie's right: the 1000 doesn't have ABS (I was being general)

I trusted everything from Orwells (my DL650 is from there too, btw) right up until last night! I finally got a screw out of the side-pannier rail only to discover that Orwell had used an entirely incorrect screw in the first place! Makes me wonder what else is wrong with my bike and just waiting to be discovered!

Offline pauljobr

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2012, 09:31:22 »
LaKraven, my mate will be okay on his own I think, and he is over in Northampton, although that can be a nice run.

If you fancy a ride out at the weekend, I know it means crossing the border but the Essex Air Ambulance ride from Laindon to Harwich is on Sunday. It's all for Charity Mate!