Author Topic: Performance difference after first service (for the better!)  (Read 2121 times)

Offline s-d

• Bike: DL650 L2
Performance difference after first service (for the better!)
« on: November 03, 2012, 10:43:14 »
Just had the Glee serviced for the first time at 600 miles. Bike was done at Thunder Road Bridgend.

While not quite transformed the bike is much, much better than it was. The engine is smoother and revvier with a satisfying vibey purr through the revs. The exhaust also sounds deeper and louder. I'm interested to know what might have been done to make such a difference as I wasn't expecting any of that.

Offline Fatbelly

Re: Performance difference after first service (for the bett
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 11:15:58 »
I have no idea. I have never noticed any great difference. Perhaps your bike was not performing properly from new and they fixed it?

Offline Locky

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 800xc & Yamaha TTR250
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 11:25:20 »
I only notice a difference when I renew the spark plugs and they wouldn't do that on the first service . So maybe the throttle sync was out a bit and they've put it right .. :shrug:

Offline s-d

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 13:18:09 »
It was rougher and more juddery at low revs, now it feels much more refined, if that's the right word. Could have been something out of kilter before. The buzz at 4.8-5k is also much reduced too. It feels great!

They also reset my mirror posts and buffeting is slightly better as a result. All in all I'm very happy with TR, despite the steep bill (£129 - it was not one of their bikes so no 1st service discount).

Offline greywolf

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 14:00:58 »
About the only thing involving first service that could make a difference there is bolt tightening. Some have said the oil can make a difference but that seems far fetched to me. It can all be in a person's mind but that works for me. If you feel it is better then it is better.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline exbandit

• Bike: DL650ALOXP
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 17:29:44 »
I took mine for its first service a while back.
about 40 miles each way,I have to say the only differance I noticed was my wallet
was lighter to the tune of £45.
Exbandit

Offline Jacko

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 21:20:38 »
I didn't notice a difference in mine.. However, the oil they put in at the factory is some sort of cutting formula and isn't, as I'd always assumed, normal engine oil.. Maybe the switch made the difference.. Either that or you're one perceptive rider who perhaps should be putting that heightened sense of feel to good work on the racetrack.. :)

Also, don't forget, they adjust the chain at first service as it stretches at its fastest rate during its first few hundred miles.. Come service time, if it hasn't been touched, it'll be quite slack..

Offline s-d

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 12:05:31 »
Hmm, interesting. While I'm more than willing to accept a placebo effect being responsible the difference feels too obvious to be just in my head - but that is the whole point with placebo.

I also notice a difference in my car when the oil is low, I can feel the difference well before the oil light comes on, topping up usually restores the feel). Likewise when I did an oil change on my 125, it was night and day. So a combination of chain slack, oil change, bolt tightening etc could sum to the difference I am feeling in the bike? That said I also got the all clear from the service bloke to rev the bike higher (told me Suzuki engines love to be thrashed) so perhaps that accounts for the smoother ride as well.

Jacko - I am very sensitive to stimulii so maybe I'm just a bit more tuned into these things. Part of the reason I did not do the DAS is because I was in sensory overload when I did my CBT. I'd love to go on a track, yes :)

Offline stibbs

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2012, 15:33:42 »
It's only an oil change... Shouldn't make any difference really.

Offline ElBandito

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2013, 19:03:47 »
s-d,

I've got 300 miles on my new Wee and I notice a buzz through the bars and seat just under 5000rpm (around 66-69mph in top).  It's not too intrusive and seems to be disappearing when it gets to 5k so hopefully it'll be gone once I've got the beast run in and I use some more revs.  Does yours clear up after 5k?
I'll be getting it looked at at the first service.  Fortunately my dealer has one as well and toured Morocco/Spain on it so I'll see if he noticed it on his.
Mods: GPR exhaust,  Vario screen, Oxford Hotgrips, knuckle guards, tank pad, under cowling, centre stand, chain guard, Scotoiller, mudguard Extenda.
Previous bikes: SS50, RD250F, RD350LC, Bandit600, SV650S, DRZ400SM, Transalp, Intruder800.

Offline Mitch

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2013, 19:37:53 »
Quote from: "ElBandito"
s-d,

I've got 300 miles on my new Wee and I notice a buzz through the bars and seat just under 5000rpm (around 66-69mph in top).  It's not too intrusive and seems to be disappearing when it gets to 5k so hopefully it'll be gone once I've got the beast run in and I use some more revs.  Does yours clear up after 5k?
I'll be getting it looked at at the first service.  Fortunately my dealer has one as well and toured Morocco/Spain on it so I'll see if he noticed it on his.

Didn't go away on mine, never noticed it through seat, only handle bars and pegs( now at 4000 miles).
My problem was the Suzuki engine bars . I isolated them with rubber washers ( including main engine bolt)  and all is fine now.
The rev range this occurs at is right on where the engine changes from laid back to hell raiser (just happens to be motorway speeds in top , which did my tits in. Now she's smooth all the way to the redline.
Do you have crash bars fitted ?
VSTROM - ADVENTURE IS OUT THERE

Offline ElBandito

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2013, 19:56:47 »
Mitch,

Yes, mine does have the OEM accessory bars fitted.  I've seen some of your posts on other topics and it looks like the concensus is that it's the bars causing it.  I'll get my dealer to look into it at the 600 service and "advise" him of the remedy.
I don't find the vibration bad, just a little bit buzzy for a couple of hundred revs so it's good to know that accelerating through it will find a happy place for me.
 :ty:
Mods: GPR exhaust,  Vario screen, Oxford Hotgrips, knuckle guards, tank pad, under cowling, centre stand, chain guard, Scotoiller, mudguard Extenda.
Previous bikes: SS50, RD250F, RD350LC, Bandit600, SV650S, DRZ400SM, Transalp, Intruder800.

Offline willbo

• crazy is contagious
  • Bike: 2010 dl650x
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2013, 20:04:46 »
I noticed an improvement after my wee had her first service. I wasn't sure if it was all in my head because it was only 600 miles, but I had to check what they did when I got home. the changed my gear lever setting slightly, which was more comfortable for me and lubed it up really nice and smoothly. the forks had been lowered a bit too which improved handling. the oil had been changed and I swear the engine sounded smoother after the change. they had adjusted the rear shock too. the bike definitely felt smoother and sounded smoother after the service
I'm sane, honestly. . . I got a certificate to prove it!

Offline skinny5216

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2013, 20:06:25 »
Quote from: "exbandit"
I took mine for its first service a while back.
about 40 miles each way,I have to say the only difference I noticed was my wallet
was lighter to the tune of £45.

You need to give everyone the name of that garage, if you had the first service done  for £45 that was a bargain, oil and filter alone almost cost that. Average first service cost is roughly £125. If £45 is anything to go by then I need to take mine there for the 7.5K and 14.5K service as at that rate should only cost £100 and £175 respectively  :shrug:

Offline greywolf

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2013, 20:30:08 »
The placebo effect is alive and well.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline Mitch

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2013, 20:30:47 »
Quote from: "ElBandito"
Mitch,

Yes, mine does have the OEM accessory bars fitted.  I've seen some of your posts on other topics and it looks like the concensus is that it's the bars causing it.  I'll get my dealer to look into it at the 600 service and "advise" him of the remedy.
I don't find the vibration bad, just a little bit buzzy for a couple of hundred revs so it's good to know that accelerating through it will find a happy place for me.
 :ty:
Definitely the bars causing the issue. Quickest potential fix is thick rubber washers sandwiched between the 2 halves of the accessory bar where they meet ( beneath the radiator) where they bolt together. 2 minutes of a job might just make all the difference.
VSTROM - ADVENTURE IS OUT THERE

Offline mr_mal

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2013, 00:27:09 »
Quote from: "Jacko"
Also, don't forget, they adjust the chain at first service as it stretches at its fastest rate during its first few hundred miles.. Come service time, if it hasn't been touched, it'll be quite slack..

Interesting - my chain didn't need adjusting at 600 miles (close to 4,000 now and still doesn't really need it!  Dealer mentioned to keep it at 30mm movement (although manual says 20-30mm) and it seems to work for me!

Offline ElBandito

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2013, 19:32:49 »
Mitch,

I used a rubber strip that's meant for fitting the light brackets to handlebars on bicycles and sandwiched it between the central join on the crash bars and it's made a big difference - I suspect that if this had been done before I got the bike I probably wouldn't have noticed any vibration.  I can probably only feel it now since I'm actually looking for it.
I'll still be telling my dealer at the 600 mile service though...
 :grin:

Offline jimbo8098

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2013, 22:59:40 »
During the initial run in , the oil is a bit thinner than standard stuff and  some of the other bike parts ore not geared towards performance because the bike requires all the parts to "loosen out" a bit. By giving the bike less weight to push around internally , it helps the engine work without straining the internal components.

It's a bit like if you break your leg , you ease your leg back into working as it should after being in a cast for so long , you don't just go and run a marathon after getting the cast off.