Author Topic: Pillion pad for top box  (Read 1386 times)

Offline tommybuk

Pillion pad for top box
« on: September 10, 2012, 19:25:58 »
Hi all,

I'm new here so not sure if this is posted in the correct section so feel free to move it mods if not  :)

Mrs tommybuk would very much like one of those back rest pads that fit on to the top box.

The ony ones I've been able to find are for givi boxes, mine is the standard Suzuki box, does anyone know where I can find one that'll fit?

Many Thanks

tommy

Offline mjc506

Re: Pillion pad for top box
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 20:04:56 »
Projects:
DL650 engine rebuild: Complete!
Brighter rear indicators]Complete![/url]
Heated mirrors]Complete![/url]
Cruise control/Speed limiter/V-puter]Pending...[/color]

Offline tommybuk

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 01:52:23 »
Ta very much!

Tommy

Offline greywolf

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 02:22:56 »
Most people have said a proper motorcycle jacket with a back protector is better than a pad on the box. A pad takes up too much room.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline Sharpy

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 08:11:59 »
Thinking of taking mine off, never carry a pillion (my other half rides her own bike), and I don't like the look of it! Also not sure I would want someone leaning on the topbox, the max suggested weight is quite low and last time I checked most people are quite heavy (relatively speaking of course).
Biker & Cyclist...

Offline andya

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 09:54:43 »
Hiya mate, I carry a pillion regularly and the only pad I could find was the one available through Suzuki on their website. I have the Suzuki boxes and it works very well, however I have fitted the plate that moves the Topbox back a couple of inches. If you carry a pillion regularly I would recommend this adaptor to give the pillion a bit more room. Pad works well and, according to my wife is a lot more comfortable than the back protector only as padding. The Suzuki pad is around £30 looks quiet slim but is effective. The steel adaptor plate is available through a manufacturer who has a link on this site somewhere (I think?) good product and easy to fit. Hope this helps, Andy :old:

Offline Andy M

• Bike: Hurley-Pugh Empire Wildebeeste Manx Thruxton
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 11:13:15 »
Quote from: "Sharpy"
Thinking of taking mine off, never carry a pillion (my other half rides her own bike), and I don't like the look of it! Also not sure I would want someone leaning on the topbox, the max suggested weight is quite low and last time I checked most people are quite heavy (relatively speaking of course).

The 10 KG limit was set by lawyers not engineers. I'm not suggesting you fill it with small change or bricks, but I can assure you a BMW one with the same stated limit was used off road in Norway etc. full of tools and anything else that could be crammed in and survived plenty of abuse. I weighed the contents at 17 kg and used to also strap a tent on top :shock:

I do now take a bit more care and don't have a box for the simple reason that if I have one I do just chuck stuff in, but the proportion of a pillions weight due to a back rest won't do anything scary IMHO.

Andy

Offline Sharpy

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2012, 13:16:01 »
Andy M, appreciate that and would have little worry about putting more than 10kgs in the box, but to then have a 50kg+ other half leaning on it just seems to be pushing the limits more than they should be.  :old:
Biker & Cyclist...

Offline Gasman1975

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2012, 21:46:34 »
I'm with andya on this one. I bought the pad from Suzuki (Redcar Motorcycles for £30 inc. postage) for my top box and I believe it looks quite good. Aslo, my pillion found it comfortable but I also bought the adapter from Cymarc (www.cymarcbikeparts.co.uk) to move the box back slighty more. The plate also allows you to lift the saddle off without removing the top box. Marc makes some really great looking and good value products btw.

My pillion is heavier than me and has never caused any damage or been worried with regard to the weight on the topbox.
Andy

Stressed spelt backwards is desserts so its no wonder I eat when fed up

Proud owner of 08 Wee, an 03 Triumph Speedmaster & a 1991 GL1500 Goldwing Interstate