Author Topic: Vee K2 side light  (Read 759 times)

Offline ringo grumio nibbler

Vee K2 side light
« on: September 08, 2012, 13:26:39 »
More than a bit flakey aren't they?

I've had one out since I bought it and finally got around to ordering a pair of led bulb replacements.  As I was twisting the one that wasn't working out the bulb fell into the headlight housing, where I noticed there was already at least one other side light bulb that must have fell in there previously.

The reason it fell out soon became clear the rubber holder has one side of the holding and current clip missing, so I was surprised that the bulb hadn't fallen out earlier.

Has anybody got a decent fix for this?  There aren't any replacement bulb holders on eBay and don't want fleecing by the main stealers?  I don't mind soldering, but I'm going to have to retain the rubber holder and somehow replace the metal clip with something.

The bulb has gone in on the other side, but even after WD40 and tightening of the clip, the bulb sits a bit too loose and the bulb went off a couple of times when refitting, but is on for the time being.

I'm thinking that maybe I can buy a bulb clip for this type of B1111 blade bulb and then fashion something by gouging out the existing clips and bodging something in its place.

Offline Sharpy

Re: Vee K2 side light
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 19:17:38 »
Often the missing part is there but is pulled down, this happened to me and managed to fix the existing holder works fine now.

You can also get the bulbs out of he light unit by stripping down the front end and taking the light unit off.
Biker & Cyclist...

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 19:31:30 »
Quote from: "Sharpy"
Often the missing part is there but is pulled down, this happened to me and managed to fix the existing holder works fine now.

You can also get the bulbs out of he light unit by stripping down the front end and taking the light unit off.
You could be right about the part being pushed down, but I think that even the intact side is poor

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 21:32:10 »
Ringo, I've had nothing but trouble with mine as I was experimenting with led bulbs (they keep blowing). The part had pulled down easily into the rubber housing. I ended up extending the wiring, and taping the bulbs in place...but I wonder if there's room to tie a wire around the rubber to keep the bulbs in? I can't visualise it enough, this far down the line.

I also was so frustrated I cut a small panel out of the plastic light housing underneath so's I could
get the fallen bulbs out easier, and sealed it with tape - that was nearly a year ago, no problems!
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Vee K2 side light
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 08:59:50 »
I was thinking along similar lines as a fix Gassoon.  Did your bulbs have resisters in them?  Mine has them in the base of the bulb.

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 16:41:54 »
Don't think there's any resistors, then maybe I didn't look closely enough at that bit! There's be something on the wiring diagram, a little K value?
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline Abercol

• Bike: 2016 Explorer XRT
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 10:41:37 »
Not had a problem with mine, '07 bike, 21k & just a number plate bulb so far....

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 19:59:35 »
The bulbs aren't blowing, they are so loose they are dropping out. I plan to bind the into the rubber holder with some wire over the weekend.