Author Topic: Hello, look, another tyre thread..  (Read 4481 times)

Offline frez

Re: Hello, look, another tyre thread..
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2013, 22:04:04 »
The problem with abs on bikes is that you (and me) are not used to it. When the abs kicks in your natural inclination from years of riding is to stop squeezing the brake or even release it a little when due to the abs system you should be squeezing it harder. The only thing to do is go out and try it on an empty road until you get used to it.
Now on a Super Tenere having put 64k miles on a 2011 DL650

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2013, 22:17:45 »
I pull the lever harder when it kicks in as it feels like its not working.. Kind of like when you 'phantom' brake in the passenger seat of a car, you're applying pressure with your foot but the car isn't slowing at the rate you expect it to so you push even more until you're virtually pulling muscles. Then you remember someone else is actually driving and you can relax.. It's like that.. :)

You're probably right though, I maybe just have to get used to not slowing down when I apply the brakes. Not sure I'm going to be able to do that.. Anakees  you say?

Offline skinny5216

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2013, 22:22:40 »
Quote from: "Tusker"
I'm going to stick with rubber tyres,  :thumb:

It seems to be for the best  lol

Might try silver cross   lol

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2013, 22:25:04 »
Thanks for the ABS info Andy M :thumb: Very interesting stuff and better hearing it from someone that was involved in testing them.

Jacko, I have a Wee that doesn't have ABS and runs Anakee 2 tyres. The one time I locked it up badly was the only time I've ever skidded the rear (unless I did it on purpose), and I high sided that time. The rest of the time I'm not an angel when I ride and I don't have any moments as far as tyres are concerned.

I've ridden a Glee when they just came out (fresh set of Trailwings), they didn't feel bad at all, but I got back on my bike and I could instantly feel the Anakees were better. The only other time I rode on Trailwings were when I was riding longman's bike one day. His tyres were part worn, I stopped to check if there was a cable routing issue because the bike felt like it didn't want to turn and then realised it was the tyres.

I played with the ABS on the Glee test ride to make it kick in and it took considerable effort to do this, not to mention considerable overriding of my normal instincts :) I came to the conclusion that it is an unobtrusive system that only kicks in just before the shit is about to hit the fan, exactly when you needed it. I won't be surprised if a lot of other people have the same view.

Long story, but my point is that if my ABS light was indicating that the ABS is working every so often then I might start believing all this Deathwing talk before I found the proof myself (would I need more proof?) I'm not saying to change the tyres right away, but to be more careful as they wear out and to perhaps consider replacing them before they get too far gone if things get worse :thumb:

+1 for Anakee 2.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline skinny5216

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2013, 22:32:38 »
You should be careful with any tyre as they start to wear out... I have 4200 miles on the Trailwings and don't really have an issue with them. In fact its mileage I'm more interested in now.  :thumb:

Offline Jacko

« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2013, 09:31:30 »
Juvecu, I don't have the ABS kicking in all the time, perhaps I misrepresented, it only kicks in when I miss something and need to brake harder than usual on small amounts of loose gravel or in the wet.. I'd like to be able to turn it off and do a few braking tests in the wet..

As has been mentioned, the problem may lie with me not being used to ABS.. My car is a 1998 Astra that doesn't have it, the wife's car, a '55 Corsa does have it but I don't drive it, and this is my first ABS equipped bike.. I'm well used to the way the bike and lever feel at imminent lock up, and react accordingly. I'm pretty far from used to something taking over and interfering with my input, with the resulting 'shit, why aren't I slowing down?' split second fear reaction.. I'm sure, given time I'll come to appreciate it, and ride with it in mind, but years of conditioning are difficult to override..

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2013, 22:14:30 »
I was being overly dramatic for effect :)

Put the bike on the centre stand or on a rear paddock stand. Turn the ignition on and spin the rear wheel by hand, the ABS will go into fault and turn off. You should see a warning light come up on the dash for this. You can ride it like that, brakes will work as if you don't have ABS. It stays off until you turn the ignition off and back on again. Handy to know if you want to turn it off for offroad riding. Don't do it on a wet day :grin:
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline Jacko

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2013, 09:20:54 »
OK great.. Just need a centrestand for doing that when I'm out.. :)

Will it have any long term affect having it go into 'fault' mode?

Offline frez

« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2013, 09:44:52 »
I think you could also simply just remove the abs fuse that is under the seat.
Now on a Super Tenere having put 64k miles on a 2011 DL650

Offline Jacko

« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2013, 10:06:10 »
Ooo, lateral thinking, like it.. :)

If it's fused we can 'switch' it..