Author Topic: Pretty Grim weather chaps!  (Read 855 times)

Offline bencav

Pretty Grim weather chaps!
« on: June 28, 2012, 21:48:21 »
Worst storm I can remember tonight, flash floods int he whole area. Weat and East coast train lines suspended in/out of Scotland, local tram/metro/rail services closed, Tyne tunnel flooded out, but the best has to be this:

And to think less than a fortnight back, Bear Grylls was ziplining the olympic candle from there!!

I will say my prayers it doesn't head to Wales before the weekend is out!!

Offline Locky

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 800xc & Yamaha TTR250
Re: Pretty Grim weather chaps!
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 21:49:45 »
We had it down here today but they say the worst is over ..I hope

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 22:16:26 »
I need subtitles on that video.

It's been really hot and sunny in Wiltshire.
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline bencav

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 22:30:44 »
Me too Martin, that certainly isn't gerodie they are speaking!!

Locksmith, wasn't there a fatality down your way?

Not good though, the UK isn't geared up to deal with this amount of rain in such a short timeframe!

Offline Orinoco

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 22:34:12 »
Just seen this on the news, does look really bad.

Beautifully sunny in Somerset  :)
Somewhere in Somerset

Offline Locky

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 800xc & Yamaha TTR250
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 22:34:54 »
Yes a old man , it happened not far from Bishops Castle ..

Offline bencav

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 22:52:21 »
Horrible thing to happen on what most have seen as a fairly entertaining day...

I can say entertaining as I managed to get home, then shopping and back before the deluge started!

Offline ChrisGrandaB

• Bike: V=Strom 650 (K7)
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 23:12:57 »
I have to say, if I'd taken the car to work, I'd still be on the road (river) trying to get home now.
But, because I was on my Wee, for most of my commute home (Shotley Bridge to North Shields) there only seemed to be me moving.
Cannot frault my K7, never faultered!
Quite enjoyed the ride (though I did wait til the lightning had stopped).
I'm daft . . . . . . . . . but not THAT daft!! :rain:

Offline 2112

• Bike: Honda 750 Transalp, Victory Crossroads 1731
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 06:36:18 »
I saw some horrendous flooding on the way home from Shiremoor and several cars flooded and abandoned. Shiremoor itself was very badly affected and Seaton Delaval was underwater with several roads closed by the Police. I have to say having a 4x4 with a suspension lift gives a reasuringly relaxed drive home, just watch out for the missing manhole covers ! Currently 15,000 people off supply due to a lack of wigglies - looks like it'll be a busy day in the office...

Wigglies = electricity
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline jonH

• Bike: R1200GS LC
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2012, 08:35:02 »
saw some interesting vids via facebook from the northeast, that lightning strike one included.. it's been a balmy year so far.. just need a heatwave in december now!
There is nothing in life that cannot be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas

Offline 2112

• Bike: Honda 750 Transalp, Victory Crossroads 1731
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2012, 08:55:24 »
I was up in the Alnwick area yesterday helping out co-ordinating fault repairs for Northern Powergrid. Crikey, every lightining strike seems to have hit a bit of electrical plant ! Transformers blown, HV cable boxes destroyed and litteraly hundreds of HV fuses blown, what a mess.
However, the main concern was the state of the roads for anyone on two wheels. There are large sections of road with mud washed accross them and almost everywhere has gravel washed onto it too. There is a section of main road from Alnwick to Rothbury where the tarmac has lifted and then re-settled, this is very bumpy and will soon break up, very dodgy. So, if you're out and about in Northumberland be careful, there are some very iffy bits to watch out for.

P.S. On the bright side you can now 'off road' on road  :thumb:
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline bencav

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2012, 18:46:38 »
Thank flip we have duallys then eh, cos the cack councils will leave the roads like that for years!!

going to enjoy the gravel rooster tails infront of Harley riders...and ped bois HAHAHAHA!!!

Offline james.t

• Bike: DL250
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2012, 21:56:39 »
I must be in a different country for the past 3 weeks we have had just sun and a bit of fog.
stay safe you lot.
j

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2012, 22:31:31 »
Quote from: "2112"
However, the main concern was the state of the roads for anyone on two wheels. There are large sections of road with mud washed accross them and almost everywhere has gravel washed onto it too. There is a section of main road from Alnwick to Rothbury where the tarmac has lifted and then re-settled, this is very bumpy and will soon break up, very dodgy. So, if you're out and about in Northumberland be careful, there are some very iffy bits to watch out for.

P.S. On the bright side you can now 'off road' on road  :thumb:

Good point there, Bry, some well dodgy bits of road around South of the river, too. The A694 still has muddy water oozing onto it, gravel and rocks congregated in places (especially bends and near traffic islands) and fine, dry sand where the Derwent overflowed the road, the stuff blows around like its the Sahara and is lethal underfoot (or tyre). I had to go down Blaydon Bank at 10 pm the night of the storm, and the road was exploded from underneath where the water flow had exceeded the capacity of the drainage - it was like someone had been driving along casually flipping HE grenades randomly into the street - but 9 a.m next morning it had all been repaired, patched up, quiye impressive for the council!
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline ChrisGrandaB

• Bike: V=Strom 650 (K7)
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2012, 20:47:54 »
Aye, I was diverted round Shotley Bridge, again at Winlaton and ended up coming down Blaydon Bank.
The erupted tarmac was impressive but lethal. Fortunately I saw it in plenty time and rounded it all easily. Then was diverted at the closure of Scottsy Road (Near the tank factory) back onto the A1(North) and up to the Cramlington turn. Back down a gridlocked A19 where I generally filtered easily through it all and down through Holystone and down Station Rd to Wallsend.
At High Farm, the road was under about 2ft of water and a couple of cars didn't make it through. My We didn't miss a beat.
Well Impressed.
Actually enjoyed the ride home and felt like staying out for a ride!