Author Topic: my vee is sick!!  (Read 1469 times)

Offline thebigcheese

my vee is sick!!
« on: June 01, 2012, 22:09:19 »
on a 4 day trip round Ireland the vee got sick whilst in county cork. started making a popping sound and sounding rough, the bike would even stall because of it.
 long story short got a recovery truck to pick it up, and was taken to a local bike mechanic. arrived at the garage by 5 pm so had to stay overnight in a hotel. mechanic had it fixed by the next morning. when he lifted the fuel tank he said the rear injector body to intake manifiold was not on square/sealing right and was sucking in air as a result. done that and fitted 2 new spark plugs and that was me on my way again 140euro lighter!  :groan: (thankfully carole nash will cover recovery truck and hotel stay)

came up the road towards home today and left the bike of at the local Suzuki dealership. bike has a problem with the clutch/gear selection. when going from 1st into 2nd gear it momentarily engages 2nd and then the neutral light comes on and the bike is revving and I'm going nowhere  :text-givemebeer:and I lost the dual feed oiler nib again!!!!!

never rains but it pours!
bikeless

Offline Beerbelly

Re: my vee is sick!!
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 08:52:01 »
The throttle body rubber popping off is a common problem, it is possible to lock wire it on to stop it happening again.

Offline greywolf

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 16:16:02 »
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline donny1972

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 16:38:33 »
My vee is also running a bit rough around 3k and popping a bit when coming down the revs. Iam going to check mine out later on in the week.

Offline Abercol

• Bike: 2016 Explorer XRT
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 11:05:03 »
Mine did the same, was an easy fix to pop the inlet boot back on and lockwire it down using the lugs as shown in Greywolf's excellent photo.

Offline Orinoco

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 11:02:29 »
Where is this on the bike?

Just spotted the thread, maybe what's happening to mine!
Somewhere in Somerset

Offline thebigcheese

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 11:24:45 »
pop the tank and apparently it is under there
bikeless

Offline 55JAMPOT

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 12:59:41 »
The throttle bodies are likely to pop off because the popping sound your hear is the bike back firing, it can blow the bodies off! Can be a pretty big bang too, I know.
Lock wiring the bodies on is not dealing with the cause, keep those throttle bodies/fuel injectors balanced perfectly and Hello presto absolutely no more popping, you can reference to sycronising the bodies on the net, same method for the wee and vee I think, not difficult with vacuum gauges but fiddly due to accessing the adjuster screw and vacuum take offs, good luck.

Offline Orinoco

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 09:58:02 »
Thanks, think I'll need to get this looked at as mine is running a bit rough and does back fire occasionally - though the Devil Exhaust doesn't help  :)
Somewhere in Somerset

Offline Abercol

• Bike: 2016 Explorer XRT
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 10:15:54 »
Mine did this, I reassembled and tightened the clamp, then carefully balanced the throttle bodies with a Morgan Carbtune...one Saturday run later it had gone again, so I lockwired it. 12,000 miles later - no issues. The bike only backfired/burped after the boot was off, not before and not since its been lockwired on.

Access is easy, after losening the fairing panels at the side of the tank & removing the rear bolt you can lift the tank and have a look at the rear inlet - youu'll know if its off as you'll see the lip of the inlet it sits on...you can push it back down and tighten the clamp, if you are lucky, that'll be it. If not, then lockwire it on using the lugs as shown in Greywolf's photo.

After realising how damned fiddly access was to the vacuum take-offs I ran a couple of vacuum hoses from the stubs on the cylinders out to the underseat area and now I balance my throttle bodies easily. The blue 4mm silicon hose I used was pennies off e-bay.

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 13:41:18 »
Orinoco, this is only something that I've ever heard of happening on Vees. No need to worry about this on a Wee, they look different on the Wee too. Other than making sure you put the the airbox on properly if you've taken it off you shouldn't have any issues with air getting in through the wrong places on a Wee.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog