Author Topic: First thoughts on the Versys 1000  (Read 1557 times)

Offline cearnshaw

First thoughts on the Versys 1000
« on: April 02, 2012, 21:20:59 »
200miles in
I'm getting used to it's looks, still think the brown is a bit more subtle than the white. Standard equipment is ABS, traction control (3 levels), 2 Power modes (Full and 75%). Gizmos include 2 trip meters, Air temp, engine temp, clock, current MPG, average MPG and range (which seems a litle erratic the cuts out when you get to the last bar) all controlled from a switch on the left whilst on the move + an immobiliser. So far managed 180miles before filling it (lots of things flashing at me to fill, range still reckoned I had 40miles before it cut off) but there were a 3 litres to spare (21l tank)
240KG fully fuelled but easier to move around than the wee, definitely taller and higher riding position but can get feet flat (I'm 6'3") and feels less cramped on the bike. Top half feels very similar. Seat is great, very comfy indeed.
It is very eager. Supposed to keep below 4000rpm for first 500miles which is proving hard and I was advised to keep it in Low power until then. There is bags of torque through the box and on a few occasions I have been pulling away quite nicely from 2000rpm only to find I'm in top-gear. I'm sure this will change when I can open it up fully but  at lower speed it doesn't seem to care what gear you're in, it'll just go, might as well be auto! Really smooth through the twisties, turns much easier and more confident . No perceived problems with the front fork and the other noted problems by the journos were vibes but I have not found this a problem. Odd tingles in the foot pegs but nothing compared to a twin.
Screen is easily adjustable (2 nobs loosen, move tighten) but I've just set it on high and seems fine. No buffeting , perhaps not as much weather protection as my Wee but that had a tall MRA on it.
Brakes are much better, ABS has not cut in yet and neither has traction control but they've mostly been dry miles so will keep an eye on that
Cruising on motorway is reading 65mpg, 70mph, 4000rpm in 6th. Overall average is 45mpg :shrug:  but I guess this is on a par with the Vee
H&B box fitted, looks OK but might go for colour matched one at some point. Also official H&B plate sits the box too far forward so had to modify it a little as couldn't get seat off with box on. Missing the handguards and are on the list but not available as yet. Not sure I'll bother with a Scottoiler this time
Build quality seems good but time will tell after next winter.  So far so good. Glad I changed? Yes.Made the right choice for a big bike? I think so.  I wouldn't say it's better for day to day use than the wee  and will cost more to run but the power is great, overtakes are a breeze and definitely seems more sure-footed. Overkill for my commute but life's not all about commuting is it? If you can get over the looks, give it a whirl. Suzuki have missed a trick by not having a 1000 tall tourer in the pipeline
Honda xr125, Bandit 650, v-strom 650 ABS 2001 W650 Versys 1000

Offline Strombone

Re: First thoughts on the Versys 1000
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 21:34:49 »
Thanks for this informative review. I must confess to thinking more about this  bike. 1200 cc seems possibly OTT and  800 perhaps not quite enough so this 1000 might just fit the bill.
I note that one mag. reviewer  said he didn't think it was great for  motorway riding owing to a screen that could have been somewhat wider. What has been your experience? I was also put off by Kevin Ash's vibration criticism.
I'd like to get away from chain drive as well...
I don't think it is ugly. Seeing it in a showroom I thought it looked good actually. It isn't not the prettiest though  :)

Offline cearnshaw

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 22:50:18 »
Not noticed any great vibes, odd tingles in the feet now and again but nothing to cause concern. definitely less than the V-twin and the W650 is vibetastic by comparison. Screen is small but no buffeting, smooth airflow, not as much protection as the tall MRA I had but I bought that to stop the buffeting. Short 20mile run on the m/way presented no problems at 80-85. Didn't go any faster due to "running in". Looks wise I think it's great side on, not much of a looker from the front though (Oh , and the headlights are pretty god as well)

Offline Abercol

• Bike: 2016 Explorer XRT
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 10:07:05 »
Keep the reports coming...Tis interesting to hear how you are getting on with it. Sounds like a slighly comfier, less vibey Vee so far....If only Suzuki were listening (and watching the rising sales figures for big Adventure bikes....they've missed the damned boat again!).

Offline Fatbelly

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 11:33:19 »
I suspect Suzuki are listening and watching very carefully. It's true they don't have a big twin they could put in a tall tourer type bike - but if the idea of a 4 cylinder engine in that type of bike is popular then they have a few engines they could squeeze in.

They only produced the Wee2 because they already had the Gladius engine and it meant they could stop production of the Wee engine. I'm sure they would love to produce a new BigStrom if they thought we would buy a four cylinder bike.

Offline Baldrick46

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 22:06:42 »
I looked at the Versys 1000 first at the NEC and then at the dealers but in the end price came into it and ended up with the Vee :)

Cearnshaw did you buy your versys from Bolton kawasaki? I went in to look about a month ago and was close to buying their ex demo which was at a very tempting price.

In fact just thinking back I told the salesman I would think about it and when he rung me back for the 2nd time I told him I was looking for a V-Strom he mention getting a 650 trade in a couple of days.
Spooky  :thumb:
My name is Rick and I'm bald!!
Twitter @baldrick38
K7 DL1000 '07 Givi panniers and top box, Givi crash bars, Scottoiler, TRE & 25mm lowering kit(short arse)

Offline cearnshaw

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 19:24:04 »
yes I did, and mine is the only one they have in! PS I got a new unregistered Versys 1000 for £8900 (the demo bike was 8699 IIRC)

Offline Baldrick46

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 20:34:54 »
Looks like your a better haggler than me tried to get a bit more off the ex demo but he was having non of it.
But looking on the bright side I now have the Vee and spent 4k less.
Hope to see you about in the future when our weather picks up again  :)))
My name is Rick and I'm bald!!
Twitter @baldrick38
K7 DL1000 '07 Givi panniers and top box, Givi crash bars, Scottoiler, TRE & 25mm lowering kit(short arse)