Author Topic: ECU warranty replacement  (Read 86564 times)

Offline Roadrocket

• Live to ride, ride to live
  • Bike: Suzuki DL1000AL4ABS + DL650K5
Re: ECU warranty replacement
« Reply #100 on: March 01, 2016, 10:53:54 »
Five Ways of Hull - Suzuki Dealer these have just trumped UK Dealer award I know speaking with their service chaps they've done a few ECU changes and warranty work. Personally speaking, I've found the service and communications to be excellent.

http://www.5-ways.co.uk/pages/news/news-and-events/accolade-5-ways-motorcycle-centre-receive-their-dealer-of-the-year-award.htm

Offline Lifebiker

• Bike: BMW R1150RT
« Reply #101 on: March 01, 2016, 12:18:06 »
Took my Desert out for it's first ride since the throttle bodies and loom recall was done, see comment on page 5. I only did 30 miles but it seemed to perform OK. I am on it full time once the clocks change so after a new ECU and latest work it should be the bike I wanted in the first place. Keep you posted.  :old:

Offline bosnjo

• Bike: DL1000 L7
« Reply #102 on: March 01, 2016, 14:07:23 »
...after a new ECU and latest work it should be the bike I wanted in the first place.
Trust me, it will be. I had the same disappointment in 2014 when I got my bike and then in October 2015, after ECU replacement, there was a great feeling of having the bike I wanted in first place.
DL1000 2017 white
DL1000 2014 red (sold)
DL650 2012 white (sold)

Offline SuMo

• Bike: 2014 DL1000A4
« Reply #103 on: March 12, 2016, 20:54:41 »
Additional ECU Swap Information here http://www.v-strom.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=28896.0

Offline SuMo

• Bike: 2014 DL1000A4
« Reply #104 on: March 16, 2016, 22:56:33 »
Quote from: Jacksnipe
Re: ECU Swap Information  http://www.v-strom.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=28896.0
Sumo, Good post and useful info. My DL in at the two wheeled centre Mansfiled Woodhouse for the wiring recall, before I go early April I will check the ECU Number. Is the advice if it is J00, J01 get rid for a J02 regardless ?
Thanks JS

Jacksnipe not regardless, otherwise this wouldn't stay a warranty issue. According to Suzuki only 3 out of 10 bikes were effected. But if your dealer is 'capable' I would want to upgrade to a J02. Regardless if my bike is running good or poor  :shock:

One approach, especially in warranty, is to have You & Your Dealer test the 'J02' ECU on your bike. Let them test drive with crappy behavior and then swap the ECU. If the bike runs way better the technician should notice it as well and make it a warranty case.

Make it a group meeting and go together with other 'sick running' DL1000A bikes to one dealer. If weather is still bad one dealer might grab the opportunity to get this 'warranty' work. If part is out of stock, check the show room DL1000A for a 'J02'
Find a rider with a 'J02' and visit a dealer. Have them acknowledge the sick behavior as well as the fix after the ECU swap. You can celebrate the ECU donor later throughout the web.  :obscene-drinkingchug:

Last but not least - Five Ways of Hull (Suzuki UK Dealer award winner) seem to have done a few ECU changes and their service and communications seems to be excellent. Get them involved to explain other dealers what to look for and (sorry to say) how to do the warranty process. BTW did Five Ways of Hull receive the Official Suzuki Notice about the RPM problems sent on August 4th 2015?

Offline trotts

• Bike: DL1000 L6
« Reply #105 on: March 17, 2016, 22:02:16 »
Has anyone seen, or access to a copy of the service bulletin re the new ECU. 

I have done 250 miles to date, love it and booked in for first service mid April.  It has 'misfired' a few times, but no dramas really.  Expecting it to be honest as Bike was an early one.  A bit lumpy low down.  Anyway I am angling for the ECU 'fix' and recorded when the misfires (coughs, farts, call them what you will happened !) and trying to marry up the first service and ECU !  I think I have little chance of that but you can only try !....  It would be nice to have a string to my bow ! :)
2016 V Strom DL1000 A4. Heed  protection Bars, Sargent Seat, Scotoiler, Power Commander Fuel Controller, Delkevic 320mm Tri Oval and Decat, Givi Air Flow screen, Givi Tank Bag, Shad Top case, Suzuki Panniers, Centre stand, hand guards.

Offline Roadrocket

• Live to ride, ride to live
  • Bike: Suzuki DL1000AL4ABS + DL650K5
« Reply #106 on: March 19, 2016, 07:14:15 »
I'll second five ways of Hull,  speak with Tim at five ways, he has done a lot of research on the ECU issues,  my Strom was their first.  It rides superbly since they've worked on it.

Offline trotts

« Reply #107 on: March 20, 2016, 15:10:13 »
thanks Road Rocket.

I have spoken to them, and will see what pans out my end so to speak !
2016 V Strom DL1000 A4. Heed  protection Bars, Sargent Seat, Scotoiler, Power Commander Fuel Controller, Delkevic 320mm Tri Oval and Decat, Givi Air Flow screen, Givi Tank Bag, Shad Top case, Suzuki Panniers, Centre stand, hand guards.

Offline corkyballs

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #108 on: March 20, 2016, 23:23:03 »
Trust me, it will be. I had the same disappointment in 2014 when I got my bike and then in October 2015, after ECU replacement, there was a great feeling of having the bike I wanted in first place.

I'll second that, its like night and day.

For anyone apprehensive whether to try and get it done - don't be. My dealer was initially non-committal  but once the engine number was relayed to Suzuki there was no question about the ECU getting swapped.

If your bike is an early 2014 issue, has a harsh on-off feel at low speed in traffic, sometimes pops and farts on the over run you'll be amazed at the difference a new ECU will make.

Offline trotts

« Reply #109 on: March 26, 2016, 15:57:11 »
Happy days.  Done 450 miles on mine so far.  Had half dozen 'coughs' 'misfires', 'farts', call them what you will.  Spoke to my dealer before easter, followed up by a nice e mail as well. They said they would speak to Suzuki. Had a call today (Saturday afternoon) that Suzuki will be replacing ECU.  :dance: :dance: :dance:  No issues.  I pointed out please ensure did not replace my old ECU with the same one !  She checked the numbers and yes, it was to be another J00 (not a J02!). 
I pointed thanks but no thanks, but needs to be J02.  That will now be ordered !  Thanks to this web site I would have jumped out the proverbial pan into the fire, AND being fitted at first service.  happy happy days
It was ironic I went to Evesham from home to visit family, 120 miles round trip, not a hiccup.  Next day two in 20 miles !

Thanks to all for advise who lurk here.  My cause was also advanced when I could quote names of people I spoke to at the NEC last November  :) :)

Offline oddbod

« Reply #110 on: March 29, 2016, 19:13:44 »
 :lala:
DL1000 2014 Red
DL650 2012 White (sold)

Offline Oldted

• Bike: DL1000 L5, Aprilia SL1000
« Reply #111 on: April 15, 2016, 16:56:30 »
Just got my bike back from 5ways in Hull. They've done the full recall work including replacing the ignition loom because they found signs of corrosion in the connector block (mines done 3400 miles since new in June). They also replaced the ECU and asked for my feedback on the rider experience after the new ECU. I had experienced very occasional stalling but my man gripe was the fuelling at low gear low speed. Rode about 60 miles round East Yorks and through town and its significantly improved.
Booked in for the annual service on 13th May before heading for a 3800 miles round trip to Bedar in Southern Spain ???? . 5Ways have been excellent.

Offline JesterRich

• Bike: Veek 1000 2014
« Reply #112 on: April 15, 2016, 21:20:38 »
I noticed a misfire on mine last weekend and have been trying to sort some time to have a look under the seat and tank to see if something was loose then whilst checking out posts realised that it might be ecu, have just checked and I have J00, that's bad news then.. ### ### how's the best way to approach dealer to get this done, nearest to me is Streetbike, Halesowen. :fix:

Offline bosnjo

• Bike: DL1000 L7
« Reply #113 on: April 15, 2016, 22:20:27 »
The best approach is "dangerous to ride, unexpected stall may lead to a crash" . That's the approach many of us have used and it looks like it works.
DL1000 2017 white
DL1000 2014 red (sold)
DL650 2012 white (sold)

Offline JesterRich

« Reply #114 on: April 15, 2016, 22:33:14 »
Cheers, will take em on in the morning and post how I get on . Thanks again  :bow-blue:

Offline Captain

• Bike: DL650A K9 GT. DL1000A L6
« Reply #115 on: April 16, 2016, 10:04:32 »
Streetbike have been doing ecu changes so you shouldn't have an issue with them. Always found them to be a great bunch of blokes and girls.

Offline oddbod

« Reply #116 on: April 16, 2016, 10:06:34 »
I agree with Bosnjo. I used the approach "dangerous to ride, and said that the unexpected stalling has nearly lead to an accident on more than one occassion

If your dealer is not receptive to this then put it in writing direct to Suzuki and request they resolve the fault as the bike is not only dangerous but also not fit for purpose and you will be forced to pursue your options.

It worked for me......bike is wonderful now.
DL1000 2014 Red
DL650 2012 White (sold)

Offline sasha28yug

« Reply #117 on: April 16, 2016, 10:47:27 »
Sorry to ask a question in your thread ... I was going to check the serial number of the ecu .. I had 2 stallings sitting at the lights in 1800 miles ... and I would like to know if my ecu is a problematic one before I start talking to a dealer...
  Where is the ecu and how can I check the serial number? 
 I would appreciate it blokes .. thanks ????

Offline JesterRich

« Reply #118 on: April 16, 2016, 10:55:14 »
Just got off phone from speaking to Streetbike, great service on the phone. First of all couldn't find my bike on Suzuki, OK now, Roger at Streetbike is sorting that. Was very pleased with his reaction when I mentioned ECU as he told me that yes it would more than likely need replacing  :happydance: and then he checked and turns out loom needs a recall.  They can't get it done until mid May, so have arranged for 7500 service to be done whilst there, offered a discount because Warranty recall are already paying for strip and rebuild. The downside is that they don't carry ecu and loom and have to be ordered at time of strip down, so I've been told to drop off on Thursday and should get it back on road towards end of next week. (Bet that's going to be the sunniest weekend all year). From reading the posts above and reports about 'like a new bike' in a weird way looking forward to getting it in and done, full service and ecu/loom, hope they give it a wipe over and it will be like a new bike. Just wish I had got this done in the winter, but saying that went to work this morning in Snow, oh the British weather.  Cheers to you all posting and making me aware of issues  :ty:

Offline JesterRich

« Reply #119 on: April 16, 2016, 11:12:53 »
Hi sasha28yug,
Ecu is under your seat, just behind battery, it lies beneath other electrics, fuses, relays. I ended up taking them off plastic carrier, there is enough wire to move units out of way then removed screw at front near battery and the one down the side, there is a clip under the seat lock unit that you can't see but slide plastic to rear, lift and bring forward. You might be able to see without removing all electrics but I wanted to take picture just in case needed to show Suzuki. Here's mine.